Senior Software Engineer
Raylo is a fast-growing fintech on a mission to change how people access and enjoy their tech. Starting in the multibillion-pound smartphone market, our innovative leasing technology delivers a win-win for our customers and the planet. Great experience, lower prices, and significant carbon savings. We call it Seamless Circularity.
We're #1 rated in our category by Trustpilot, and excited about a future world where fewer tech items are manufactured, and those that are, get an extended life through a managed cycle of refurb, reuse, and recycle - Read more on our Series A funding at this Tech Crunch article.
Raylo launched in 2019 with an experienced team across technology, risk, analytics, and operations. We're backed by leading global venture investors and entrepreneurs. We’re currently 35 people and we’ll be 60 by the end of year.
We’re building a diverse team who embrace innovation, strive for excellence, and are motivated to deliver a smarter experience in a dynamic, start-up environment. Our culture is built on five core values which are the basis for how we behave, collaborate, and make decisions. We live our mission, walk in our customers’ shoes, focus and execute and are a deeply curious and gritty bunch.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our team based in London.
You’ll be working in a cross-functional team with smart people who are passionate about our mission and product. You will help develop major features and new products in our roadmap.
This is an opportunity to join a fast-growing startup in the early stages, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and change an industry.
What You'll Do...
- You will offer solutions by building technology that will enable us to expand into new markets, develop new distribution channels, and support the development of new products and services
- You’ll play a leading role in delivering the product and technology roadmap. This means writing, reviewing and supporting code in our platform, taking ideas from requirements to production code, and having responsibility for quality
- You’ll work with robust and proven technology. Our backend platform currently uses the latest Ruby and Rails version and is backed by PostgreSQL. Most of the code runs in a Redis-backed background job system (Sidekiq). The backend app serves a React frontend app by exposing a GraphQL interface.
- Collaborate with other team members and members of the broader team
What We’re Looking For...
- As a Senior Ruby Engineer, you’ll have a solid understanding of Ruby on Rails in a production environment
- Experience of TDD (we use RSpec), good CI/CD and observability practices
- Experience working with external APIs
- Contribute to open-source projects that play an important role to our apps
- Diligence and commitment to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, favour working on usable MVPs, and using real customer feedback to continuously iterate and improve our technology solutions
- Passionate about changing the way in which people get technology, creating a win-win for customers and the planet
We’re not looking for you to meet every single point on this job description, please still get in touch if you think you’ve got what it takes! We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
What you'll get in return...
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing, super ambitious startup with highly motivated individuals
- Competitive salary
- Company share options
- Hybrid working environment (post pandemic) - Flexible WFH arrangements
- Opportunity to attend industry events and conferences
- 33 days total annual leave (including public holidays)
- Perkbox - hundreds of perks and discounts to support physical, financial, and mental wellbeing
- Latest tech - Laptop of choice and a Raylo Refurbished phone
- Career progression opportunities and management training course
- A fun and inspiring work environment featuring regular socials
Raylo is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment where we learn from each other. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and believe it adds value to our organisation. Working at Raylo is super fun and we’d love to tell you more about it.