Senior Software Engineer
Who we are
We are a highly ambitious team; focused and truly collaborative. We empower people to take ownership through meaningful and impactful work. We exist to help people and the planet, it’s a big statement but one you’ll wear with pride.
Raylo is here to change how people get their tech for good. That means giving them access to the products they really want, but doing so in a responsible, sustainable way.
We provide Seamless Circularity, where every device gets an extended life through our automatic, effortless cycle of refurb, reuse and recycle.
Our secret sauce is leasing. By providing a subscription alternative, we're cracking open a staid old market and bringing real change to consumers and the environment. Less waste, better value. We’re serious - we want to lead the change in consumption of consumer technology.
Life at Raylo
• We are an organically collaborative and dynamic team
• We embrace innovation, seek out challenges and always aim for excellence
• We take big risks, celebrate our wins, and learn from our mistakes
• We help each other by listening, challenging thought and continually improving
• We live our mission, walk in our customers’ shoes, focus and execute, and are a curious and gritty bunch
We are looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our team based in London.
You’ll be working in a cross-functional team with smart people who are passionate about our mission and product. You will help develop major features and new products in our roadmap.
This is an opportunity to join a fast-growing startup in the early stages, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and change an industry.
What You'll Do...
- You will offer solutions by building technology that will enable us to expand into new markets, develop new distribution channels, and support the development of new products and services
- You’ll play a leading role in delivering the product and technology roadmap. This means writing, reviewing and supporting code in our platform, taking ideas from requirements to production code, and having responsibility for quality
- You’ll work with robust and proven technology. Our backend platform currently uses Ruby 3.1 and Rails version 7 and is backed by PostgreSQL. Most of the code runs in a Redis-backed background job system (Sidekiq Enterprise). The backend app serves a frontend app (React, Typescript, Netlify) by exposing a GraphQL API
- Collaborate with other team members and members of the broader team
What We’re Looking For...
- As a Senior Ruby Engineer, you’ll have a solid understanding of Ruby on Rails in a production environment
- Experience of TDD (we use RSpec), good CI/CD and observability practices
- Experience working with external APIs
- Contribute to open-source projects that play an important role to our apps
- Diligence and commitment to stay up-to-date with the latest technologies, favour working on usable MVPs, and using real customer feedback to continuously iterate and improve our technology solutions
- Passionate about changing the way in which people get technology, creating a win-win for customers and the planet
We’re not looking for you to meet every point on this job description, please still get in touch if you think you could add value and do your best work here at Raylo. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
Opportunities & Benefits
Your chance to make an impact. We want what you can bring - what makes you special. Through trust, collaboration and autonomy, you can have an impact right from the off.
Be part of the change. You will join one of the fastest growing fintech startups, backed by Octopus Investments, where you can change how people get their tech for good
Other benefits include;
• 33 days holiday per year (25 days, + an extra 8 days to choose the days that mean most to you)
• Stock options - get a real stake in your company’s growth
• Hybrid working environment
• Free sustainable breakfast and snacks, every day you’re in the office
• Workplace Nursery Scheme
• Perkbox membership - hundreds of perks and discounts to support physical, financial and mental wellbeing
• To do your best work, we’ll give you a laptop and a Raylo phone
• Udemy Business corporate subscription - access to 15,000+ courses covering business, tech, and wellness skills
• Learning budget - we care deeply about investing in your long-term career growth and potential
• Fun (yet optional) Raylo quarterly socials, plus summer and Christmas parties
Raylo is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive work environment where we learn from each other. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and believe it adds value to our organisation. Working at Raylo is super fun and we’d love to tell you more about it.