Head of Quantum Algorithms & Machine Learning
Science & Technology – Quantum Software & Algorithms /
A rare opportunity has arisen for a distinguished scientist to join Quantinuum to lead our Quantum Algorithms team. This is a critical role for us and there has never been a better time to join us on our journey of accelerating quantum computing.
The Head of Quantum Algorithms will join some of the best minds in the quantum ecosystem to make up the Senior Scientific Team. Your work will see you collaborate across our global teams who are leading the field in areas such as compositional quantum AI, condensed matter simulations, computational chemistry, error correction and hardware development.
Purpose of the role
As the Head of Quantum Algorithms, you will build and lead an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to conduct foundational research. Your research group’s will invent and develop new quantum algorithms that can be applied to and solve a number of real world problems and can positively impact society. You will form part of our senior scientific leadership team, where you will be an active contributor in defining the overall scientific direction of the business.
As well as pursuing your own research, you will develop and support the algorithms group's research direction and build on our existing strengths in quantum machine learning, optimisation, quantum Monte Carlo integration, and quantum topological data analysis. Your research will lead to the development of new products applying quantum algorithms to real-world problems.
- Define the research direction, projects, and roadmaps for the discovery and development of quantum algorithms that solve real world problems.
- Manage and direct the various research groups within the quantum algorithms team, ensuring individuals’ goals and objectives align to the overall direction.
- Successfully launch new projects, develop products, and support existing products to drive scientific advancement and client engagements.
- Identify and lead research funding activities within your group and relationships with relevant funding bodies and institutions.
- Represent the business in the wider scientific community, influencing through your research, invention, and technical achievements.
- Oversee and advise your commercial group to deliver all client engagements and project work, manage senior stakeholder relationships, and negotiate matters of importance to the organization.
- Lead a culture of continuous improvement and innovation, maintaining knowledge of current and emerging quantum research and advise on its impact on the business.
Knowledge, skills, and experience required
- 10+ years experience of leading scientific research, either in industry or academia, with a comprehensive publication history and significant citations.
- A Ph.d. in quantum information, computer science, mathematics, physics or a related field.
What we value
- Held a senior scientific leadership role, equivalent to a professor in an academic setting.
- Experience of developing and scaling ideas through to proof of concepts and products.
- A significant reputation and leading influence within the field of quantum scientific research.
- You will have led multiple groups, setting research direction and road maps.
- Experience of working with clients and delivering commercial engagements.
- A natural and strong communicator, and the ability to address both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience of hiring, developing talent, and managing a diverse and inclusive team recognized for delivering results, intellectual horsepower, inclusiveness, and collaboration.
What is in it for you?
Working alongside a highly talented team, with leading names in the quantum computing industry. We offer a highly competitive package, equity, 28 days of paid holiday (in addition to public holidays), a workplace pension, a positive approach to flexible working and enhanced parental and adoption benefits.
Science Led and Enterprise Driven.
Our team of scientists is leading the way in the development of quantum computing. The world’s largest integrated quantum computing company, we united Cambridge Quantum’s advanced software development with Honeywell Quantum Solutions’ high-fidelity hardware to accelerate quantum computing. With full-stack technology, we’re scaling quantum computing and developing applications to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. We could be even better with you!
At Quantinuum, we believe quantum information systems will revolutionize the way we work and live. We are leading the way by helping our customers develop quantum-enabled solutions that provide a competitive-edge in their markets. We’re hiring the world’s best talent to make it happen. Join us!
Please note that employment with us is subject to successfully passing our pre-employment screening checks. We are an inclusive equal opportunity employer. You will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.