Cape Town, South Africa /
Corporate - Legal /
PayU, a leading payment and Fintech company in 50+ high-growth markets throughout Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa, part of Prosus group, one of the largest technology investors in the world is redefining the way people buy and sell online for our 300.000+ merchants and millions of consumers.
As a leading online payment service provider, we deploy more than 400 payment methods and PCI-certified platforms to process approximately 6 million payments every single day.
About the Role:
PayU is seeking a goal-oriented, high energy and hardworking individual to join our team as the privacy counsel responsible for South Africa, Nigeria and Kenia, reporting to PayU’s Global Chief Privacy Officer. The privacy counsel may be required to act as the information officer.
As the privacy counsel, you will form an integral part of the Global PayU privacy team with regular and close interaction and collaboration with the members of the privacy team around the world. You will work alongside and support the business stakeholders to carry out key regional and global initiatives in the FinTech space.
Excited yet? Continue reading to find out more about the role
What you’ll be doing:
· Working in a global network of privacy specialists to drive the PayU global privacy program in South Africa, Nigeria, and Kenia. You will also have an opportunity to engage in global privacy initiatives.
· Maintaining close relationships with business stakeholders, including, but not limited to product, security, marketing, and HR, and supporting them in the identification and mitigation of privacy risks.
· Providing privacy compliance support in the region and ensuring compliance with relevant laws (such as POPIA and NDPR), including assisting with the deployment of policies and guidelines, maintaining the data mapping inventory, performing privacy assessments for the relevant business teams regarding the development of new products and services in the Fintech space.
· Conducting training and promoting privacy awareness within the organization.
· Managing privacy incidents and interfacing with local data protection authorities.
What are we looking for?
· Legal degree and at least 2 years of professional experience in data protection (financial, payments, lending, e-commerce preferred).
· South African privacy regulations knowledge (Nigeria and Kenya privacy regulations, as well as GDPR knowledge, would be an advantage)
· CIPP certification would be an advantage.
· Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
· Great interpersonal skills, with a solution-orientated “can-do” attitude.
Enjoying a fast-paced environment with constantly changing priorities, and learning on the job.
What we offer:
· Unique opportunity to become a part of a global company with a value-based approach (we are part of the international Naspers group);
· An inclusive environment that ensures we listen to a diverse range of voices when making decisions.
· A positive, get-things-done workplace
· Ability to learn cutting edge concepts and innovation in an agile start-up environment with a global scale
· A democratic work environment where you can drive your outcomes
· Competitive salary and other benefits (Meal Tickets, Private Medical Subscription, Wellbeing Benefits, Nice company events, Bonuses & Gifts for special events, etc.)
At PayU, we are a global fintech investor and our vision is to build a world without financial borders where everyone can prosper. We give people in high-growth markets the financial services and products they need to thrive. Our expertise in 18 high-growth markets enables us to extend the reach of financial services. This drives everything we do, from investing in technology entrepreneurs, to offering credit to underserved individuals, to helping merchants buy, sell and operate online. Being part of Prosus, one of the largest technology investors in the world, gives us the presence and expertise to make a real impact. Find out more www.payu.com
Our Commitment To Building A Diverse And Inclusive Workforce
As a global and multi-cultural organization with varied ethnicities thriving across locations, we realize that our responsibility towards fulfilling the D&I commitment is huge. Therefore, we continuously strive to create a diverse, inclusive and safe environment, for all of our people, communities and customers. Our leaders are committed to create an inclusive work culture which enables transparency, flexibility and unbiased attention to each and every PayUneer so they can succeed, irrespective of gender, color or personal faith. An environment where every person feels they belong, that they are listened to, and where they are empowered to speak up. At PayU we have zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice whether a specific race, ethnicity, or of persons with disabilities or the LGBTQ communities.