Backend Engineer (SRE team)
Tel Aviv, Israel /
GPO EMEA - Engineering /
PayU, a leading payment and Fintech company in 50+ high-growth markets throughout Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa, part of Prosus group, one of the largest technology investors in the world is redefining the way people buy and sell online for our 300.000+ merchants and millions of consumers.
As a leading online payment service provider, we deploy more than 400 payment methods and PCI-certified platforms to process approximately 6 million payments every single day.
About The Role:
We are looking for a brilliant experienced Backend Engineer (SRE team) to join our Engineering team and work on the company's core system. As a part of the team you’ll combine software and systems engineering to build and run large-scale, distributed, fault-tolerant systems. The Backend Engineer ensures that PayU’s services, both our internally critical and our externally-visible systems, have reliability and uptime appropriate to users needs and a fast rate of improvement while keeping an eye on capacity and performance. SRE's culture of diversity, intellectual curiosity, problem-solving and openness is key to its success. Our organization brings together people with a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We encourage them to collaborate, think big and take risks in a blame-free environment. As an SRE team member in PayU you’ll always see the big picture of how our systems relate to each other, we use a wide range of tools and approaches to solve a broad spectrum of problems. Practices such as limiting time spent on operational work, blameless postmortems and break things to proactively identify potential outages are our bread and butter. You will also build new ways to prevent production failures and test PayU platforms for resilience and reliability by implementing chaos engineering practices.
Excited yet? Continue reading to find out More about the role: What you’ll do:
- Engage and improve the whole lifecycle of services from inception and design, through deployment, operation, and refinement.
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms like automation, and evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability and velocity.
- You should feel at ‘home’ when writing system code - k8s-operators, monitoring services and so on. - we do that a lot.
- Be in an on-call rotation to respond to PayU systems availability incidents and provide support for service engineers with customer incidents. Use your on-call shift to prevent incidents from ever happening.
- Make monitoring and alerting alerts on symptoms and not on outages.
- Design, build and maintain core infrastructure pieces that allow us scaling to support hundreds of thousands of concurrent payments.
- Educate engineers on how to approach and debug production issues across services and levels of the stack.
- Break things on purpose to identify potential outages.
What are we looking for?
- 3+ years of solid experience as a Backend Engineer in startup/high growth companies.
- Passionate about both software and system engineering tasks.
- Have strong programming skills - Go/Node.js/Java and open to learn new, cutting edge technologies.
- Have significant experience with Docker, Kubernetes or similar technologies.
- Experience with coding infrastructure automation with Ansible and Terraform.A team player with good communication skills.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience.
- A proactive approach and consistently thinking about systems: coming up with edge cases, failure modes, behaviours, specific implementations.
- Knowing your way around Linux and the Unix Shell.
- Knowing what is the use of config management systems like Ansible (the one we use).The urge to collaborate and communicate remotely and asynchronously.
- The urge to document all the things so you don't need to learn the same thing twice.
- When you see something broken, you can't help but fix it.
- A strong itch when you see a manual process so you have to automate it.
- An ability to deliver quickly and iterate fast.
What we offer
- Career progression program
- Wellbeing programs
- Flexible program and hybrid way of working
- Free subscription to an Internal Elearning platform with courses from Udemy, Coursera, and many others
- Truly International Environment with almost 40 different cultures
- An inclusive environment that listens to a diverse range of voices when making decisions.
- A positive, get-things-done workplace
- A dynamic, constantly evolving space (change is par for the course – important you are comfortable with this)
- Ability to learn cutting edge concepts and innovation in an agile start-up environment with a global scale
- A democratic work environment where you can drive your outcomes
At PayU, we are a global fintech investor and our vision is to build a world without financial borders where everyone can prosper. We give people in high-growth markets the financial services and products they need to thrive. Our expertise in 18 high-growth markets enables us to extend the reach of financial services. This drives everything we do, from investing in technology entrepreneurs, to offering credit to underserved individuals, to helping merchants buy, sell and operate online. Being part of Prosus, one of the largest technology investors in the world, gives us the presence and expertise to make a real impact. Find out more www.payu.com
Our Commitment To Building A Diverse And Inclusive Workforce
As a global and multi-cultural organization with varied ethnicities thriving across locations, we realize that our responsibility towards fulfilling the D&I commitment is huge. Therefore, we continuously strive to create a diverse, inclusive and safe environment, for all of our people, communities and customers. Our leaders are committed to create an inclusive work culture which enables transparency, flexibility and unbiased attention to each and every PayUneer so they can succeed, irrespective of gender, color or personal faith. An environment where every person feels they belong, that they are listened to, and where they are empowered to speak up. At PayU we have zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice whether a specific race, ethnicity, or of persons with disabilities or the LGBTQ communities.