Senior Backend Engineer
San Diego, CA (On-site) /
Software – Cloud /
When you’re on a mission to cure disease and save lives, the software that helps deliver the solution is critical. Our super-resolution platform is reliant on innovative software, so we’re adding a Senior Backend Engineer to our team. Ensuring our systems continue to be reliable, scalable, and secure is key to our software team and their ethos.
You're already an expert in shipping large-scale, Python-based systems, proven by repeatedly getting it right ‘first time’. And you’ve designed them to handle high throughput of large data-sets, with the goal of expansion in mind.
Your design philosophy is based on first understanding user needs, then enabled by your Python prowess. So you’ve built systems to be as reliable as they are intuitive, with seamless communication between services. And communication with colleagues is just as important, which is how you make sure your projects stay on track and on target.
Reporting to our Director of Software Engineering, your responsibilities will include:
- Designing extensible and testable interfaces between internal services including the underlying storage and data models
- Owning the architecture, design, development, and operations of large-scale systems designed for heavy analysis tasks including data management systems, data engineering workflow systems, distributed compute systems and connect to the front-end components
- Engaging with user requirements to design and develop solutions that satisfy user needs and provide excellent user experience
- Supporting and enabling others’ work across the software teams
- Working with front-end developers and UX/UI designers to build infrastructure to support features
- Developing novel applications using distributed systems involving large data-sets and complex interactions on the cloud
- Building and testing tools to ensure cross-compatibility between different web browsers and operating systems
- Troubleshooting and resolving issues and feature bugs that arise from internal testing or customer use with robust solutions
You’re probably wondering what we run our systems on, so here it is; Python on Kubernetes in GCP.
$180,000 - $200,000 a year
As with any start-up, change is inevitable - in fact it excites us - and we’d expect it to do the same from you. So you’ll also be comfortable with new challenges, uncertainty, and reprioritisation. With offices in Oxford & San Diego, you’ll have the opportunity to visit and build relationships with our teams globally.
Making our super-resolution microscope - we call it a Nanoimager - as easy to use as a smartphone is our goal, as well as giving everyone the opportunity to explore and build on our platform. That vision starts with a strong Backend foundation. So if this role and our mission aligns with you, we’d love to speak with you once you’ve applied, which you can do here.