Remote | Staff Backend Software Engineer (Motors)
Barcelona, Spain /
OLX Group – Engineering /
WELCOME TO OLX
At OLX, we shape the future of trade to unlock the hidden value in everything.
We help people buy and sell cars, find housing, get jobs, buy and sell household goods, and much more, all via our network of trading platforms. Our 10,000 colleagues help to serve 300 million people around the world every month, through 20 well-loved local brands such as OLX Autos, Otomoto, and Property24.
As a Remote Staff Backend Software Engineer, you can work in a full-remote setup residing in Spain and you'll work on a microservices architecture, entirely on Amazon Web Services, with Golang as the language of choice for our Microservices and PHP for our Monolith. Are you someone who is craving scalable problems and dealing with optimizations? You'll work with a creative, important team from the comfort of your house but as close as we have ever been! (#LI-Remote)
You'll allow teams to build experiences in one of the fastest and main marketplaces: Motors. The European Motors Team is developing the Vertical Motors Platforms for many valuable markets figuring many millions in revenue. Among our brands you can find Otomoto.pl in Poland, Autovit.ro in Romania, and in Portugal, Standvirtual.com. You'll help our organization to grow sustainable.
What you will do
- You'll report directly to the Head of Engineer.
- Invest time aligning engineering around high-value problems and solutions.
- You'll work with product and engineering leadership. You're expected to propose projects and changes to senior leadership and work with them to make clear the benefits of what will often be deep technological changes.
- Collaborate with other senior developers on managing, and minimizing tech debt.
- Build scalable platforms used by people around the globe while managing products with billions of page views per month.
- Participate in solving specific technical challenges with engineers from other European offices, having a chance to accelerate your impact by delivering for millions of customers.
- Oversee the development process end-to-end participating in product design discussions, writing and reviewing code on a wider range of projects, assuring quality and the strategy for the development
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance that have an impact across your team and others.
- Focused on delivery towards DevOps mentality.
- Collaborate and learn with the OLX EU Engineering community.
Who we're looking for
- Critical mindset and autonomy. You'll help identify what needs to be done to achieve our unit goals.
- You'll have a higher impact by influencing others to follow your technical decisions than if you try to do everything by yourself.
- 4+ years of experience with large-scale web applications, with an economic thinking mindset.
- 5+ years of experience coding coding skills and Computer Science fundamentals. On average you'll develop new ideas and review others' work for ⅔ of the time.
- Experience in technical coaching, and technical leadership. As a Staff Engineer, other Engineers will look up to you and you'll lead by example.
- Experience with CI/CD, RESTful APIs, AWS, relational and non-relational databases.
- Demonstrated deep experience in at least one of the following: High-performance scalable systems; Migrate from Monoliths to a Microservices architecture; Taxonomy.
What can you expect from us and what do we offer?
- Opportunity to work with many technologies ranging from a legacy application in PHP all the way to a microservices architecture on Golang, GraphQL.
- Solid observability stack, with New Relic, Sentry, and ELK.
- Possibility to be mentored by someone of your choice from the OLX community.
- A healthy learning environment that takes your career at heart for both Individual Contributors and Managers
- We offer an Annual Bonus plus benefits like Health and Life insurance, Food Allowance, Transportation Allowance, English & Portuguese classes, and many other surprising treats.
- Open selection of training e-courses including MyAcademy, Udemy, and specialist AWS training.
- A company committed to building an inclusive environment for all employees and creating equal opportunities.
- Great place to learn within fast-growing, global classifieds platforms.
If you are as excited as us about this position and our company, we hope you join us! If you‚Äôd like to learn more about us take a look around our careers page and the OLX Group website
Why join OLX?
At OLX, we unlock value in our people. We invest in ourselves and each other to reach our full potential. We avoid bureaucracy and empower our teams to innovate; with opportunities, training, and leadership behaviors a focus for all. Our commitment to inclusion ensures we listen to a diverse range of voices when making decisions. And, we combine the spirit and agility of a startup with our global scale and the backing of Prosus, one of the largest consumer internet groups in the world.
We also unlock value for our stakeholders. We are proud of the positive contribution we make to our planet, by enabling more conscious consumption and helping the world make the most of its limited resources through more efficient trade.
And last but not least, we love to unlock value for our customers. Every single month, over 300 million people use our platforms to easily, safely, and conveniently find their perfect home, buy or sell a car, find a great job, sell things they no longer need, or strike a great deal on something they need. And we help thousands of entrepreneurs and businesses find their customers too.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at OLX
If you do not meet every single requirement for this role, we would still encourage you to apply. At OLX, we are committed to creating a high performing diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, we know that we get the best results when we have the broadest range of knowledge, backgrounds, and experiences in our team, and we believe you are at your best when you can bring your whole self to work.
So, if you are excited about this role, but your past experiences do not align perfectly with every criteria asked for in the job description, we would still like you to apply. We strongly encourage people of all races, ethnicities, disabilities, ages, gender identities or expressions, sexual orientations, backgrounds, and experiences to consider applying for this role. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles in our business, and we'd like to hear from you.
We will strive to accommodate all necessary adjustments to support your interview success - please speak to your recruiter about any of these requirements.
Please refer to our Privacy Statement to find out more about how your application data will be processed.