Backend Engineer - Recommendations Platform
Lisbon, Portugal /
OLX Group – Engineering /
WELCOME TO OLX
At OLX, we shape the future of trade to unlock the hidden value in everything.
We help people buy and sell cars, find housing, get jobs, buy and sell household goods, and much more, all via our network of trading platforms. Our 10,000 colleagues help to serve 300 million people around the world every month, through 20 well-loved local brands such as OLX Autos, Otomoto, and Property24.
About the Area - Data Org
The Data Science team at OLX Group is responsible for building algorithmic solutions to facilitate transactions between buyers and sellers. We are developing personalization technologies and optimization strategies that have a direct impact on OLX’s users as well as the company’s bottom line.
You will be encouraged to work closely with Data Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers to scale our services and platform, dealing with state-of-the-art machine learning models for Recommendations. Applying these methods to core OLX product platforms deployed in the cloud that are affecting the user experience for millions of visitors per month, rolling your solutions to production, analyzing model results offline and online, and measuring site impact.
Some of the challenges that we are focusing on consist not only in creating new algorithms, but also leveraging existing AI engines to boost and scale our Recommendations platform.
The Recommendations Platform team
The new Recommendations Platform team at OLX Group is responsible for building and scaling recommendation algorithms across OLX Europe. Our main goal is to help our stakeholders to increase efficiency and performance by delivering state-of-the-art recommendation algorithms across our platform to serve our customers when looking for similar items in our vast catalog.
Our team collaborates with product and tech teams from OLX, as well as the Motors and Real Estate verticals like Otomoto and Otodom, across the entire EU region. This means that our solutions need to scale to millions of data points and need to be designed to be reused in markets with similar characteristics. We think of experimentation as a tool to learn what our users want. We always start simple and fail fast. This way we can create solutions that can be adapted to every market.
On a typical day, you will be interacting with other members of your cross-functional team. You will collaborate with other Engineers and Data Scientists to build a world-class platform for Recommendations. Ultimately, you'll find a group of friendly people that want to collaborate with you to improve our platform capabilities and the user experience and ultimately have fun together!
Who we’re looking for
As a Backend Engineer you:
- are curious and have a growth mindset;
- have experience with Python;
- have experience with either Kotlin (preferred) or Java;
- have experience working with distributed and scalable solutions;
- are experienced in cloud services like AWS or GCP;
- have experience in testing automation (unit testing, end-to-end testing);
- are driven by testing out innovative ideas, taking a pragmatic view on the technology to use, to test and build them;
- are eager to work proactively with the team on improving the overall way of working;You communicate effectively in English.
These are "nice to have" traits, but aren't strict requirements:
- experience with building platform solutions (e.g., Recommender Systems);
- basic knowledge in building CI/CD pipelines;
- basic knowledge in Spring Boot, Kubernetes, Airflow;
- basic knowledge in observability platforms such as NewRelic, Prometheus/Grafana.
What we’ll give you:
- A diverse international team of passionate and talented engineers that work together to take each other to the next level
- A positive, get-things-done workplace
- A dynamic, constantly evolving space
- An inclusive environment that ensures we listen to a diverse range of voices when making decisions
- Ability to learn cutting edge concepts and innovation in an agile start-up environment with a global scale
- A flexible working environment where you can drive your outcomes
- Company mobile phone, laptop and other tools you might need
- Open selection of training e-courses including MyAcademy, Udemy and specialist AWS trainings
Why join OLX?
At OLX, we unlock value in our people. We invest in ourselves and each other to reach our full potential. We avoid bureaucracy and empower our teams to innovate; with opportunities, training, and leadership behaviors a focus for all. Our commitment to inclusion ensures we listen to a diverse range of voices when making decisions. And, we combine the spirit and agility of a startup with our global scale and the backing of Prosus, one of the largest consumer internet groups in the world.
We also unlock value for our stakeholders. We are proud of the positive contribution we make to our planet, by enabling more conscious consumption and helping the world make the most of its limited resources through more efficient trade.
And last but not least, we love to unlock value for our customers. Every single month, over 300 million people use our platforms to easily, safely, and conveniently find their perfect home, buy or sell a car, find a great job, sell things they no longer need, or strike a great deal on something they need. And we help thousands of entrepreneurs and businesses find their customers too.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at OLX
If you do not meet every single requirement for this role, we would still encourage you to apply. At OLX, we are committed to creating a high performing diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, we know that we get the best results when we have the broadest range of knowledge, backgrounds, and experiences in our team, and we believe you are at your best when you can bring your whole self to work.
So, if you are excited about this role, but your past experiences do not align perfectly with every criteria asked for in the job description, we would still like you to apply. We strongly encourage people of all races, ethnicities, disabilities, ages, gender identities or expressions, sexual orientations, backgrounds, and experiences to consider applying for this role. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles in our business, and we'd like to hear from you.
We will strive to accommodate all necessary adjustments to support your interview success - please speak to your recruiter about any of these requirements.
Please refer to our Privacy Statement to find out more about how your application data will be processed.