Engineering Team Lead (Rust)
Engineering – Core /
Before you read the details of this role, there’s something you should know. At Matter Labs, we don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a highly aligned global team on a single mission: to accelerate the mass adoption of crypto for personal sovereignty.
Our core technology – zkSync – is a layer 2 rollup that uses advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum without compromising on security or decentralization. zkSync is EVM compatible, which means projects on Ethereum and other EVM-based blockchains can easily deploy on zkSync to take advantage of low gas fees and high transaction speeds.
With a total of $458 million in mission-driven funding, zkSync is the first EVM-compatible ZK Rollup to go live on testnet (February 2022) and be deployed on mainnet (October 2022). As we enter the endgame for Ethereum scaling, we are committed to full open source and building in public toward our stated mission [so that even if we fail, the community and the ecosystem will benefit from our contribution].
Read more about our core values and principles.
We have multiple development teams, focused on different aspects of the platform.
What You'll Be Doing
- Designing the architecture in your areas of responsibility
- Leading the implementation efforts
- Developing engineering processes and culture
- Managing code quality
- Facilitating the professional growth of your team members
What We Look For in You
- Driven by passion, curiosity, and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the world
- Fluency in Rust is not required but is an advantage since it is the main programming language we work with
- Strong background in math, algorithms, and data structures (please only apply if you are at ease with this requirement)
- Deep understanding of software engineering best practices
- Ownership mindset and a track record of successfully accomplishing projects
- Experience in cryptography/networking/protocol design is a big plus
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational and memory complexities is critical, as well as experience in implementing them from scratch
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from different countries, cultures, ethnical and religious backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture of freedom and ownership to persist as we scale and to establish the base for a positive-sum community as we move toward full decentralization.
Apply now if this role sounds of interest and we aim to get back to you as soon as possible.