Senior Protocol Engineer
Engineering – Core /
At Matter Labs, we believe freedom drives progress and prosperity. We don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a team aligned around a single mission: to advance personal freedom for all (see ZK Credo).
To achieve this goal, we’re building zkSync — a credibly neutral, fully open source technology stack and network on top of Ethereum, which is owned and governed by its community. We use advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum infinitely without compromising on security or decentralization. With a world-class team, a community of over 1M supporters across Twitter + Discord, and hundreds of millions $ in funding, we have abundant resources to accomplish the mission.
We are looking for a Senior Protocol Engineer with strong knowledge of Ethereum and the EVM to join our Core Team. Your scope will include design and implementation for the zkSync smart contract platform: a zero-knowledge-proof-friendly virtual machine. This team is responsible for the evolution of our protocol and works at both L1 (including our core contracts, verification contracts, and bridge) and at L2, helping shape the direction of zkSync 2.0.
What You'll Be Doing
- Joining the team responsible for the design and implementation of the zkSync smart contract platform: a zero-knowledge-proof-friendly virtual machine
- Developing at L1 and L2, including system contracts (implemented in Solidity and Yul) and server side changes
- Shaping the future of the protocol through research, design, prototyping, engineering, and discussion with external partners
- Conducting independent research in your area of ownership, design, implement and document solutions, and potentially leading a team
What We Look For in You
- Excellent understanding of Ethereum and the EVM
- Experience with Solidity or Vyper
- 5+ years in software development
- Driven by passion, curiosity, and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the world
- Fluency in Rust, C++, Scala, Java or Go - we work primarily with Rust, but prior experience with this language is not mandatory
- Deep understanding of software engineering best-practices
- Ownership mindset and a track record of successfully accomplishing projects
- In-depth knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational & memory complexities
- Experience implementing data structures and algorithms from scratch
- Experience in cryptography/high-load/protocols design is a big plus
- Fluent written and spoken English
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. All positions are 100% remote (with optional travel to team and/or industry events). We operate in lean and nimble teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. We move fast. Only results matter. We will provide you with everything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from diverse backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture around the tenants of freedom and ownership. This ethos will underpin our positive-sum community as we evolve toward full decentralization.
If this role resonates with you, apply now for prompt feedback.
Read more about working at Matter Labs here.
Important: We are remote-first, operating in the timezones between UTC-5 (Latam and Atlantic Coast) to UTC+7 (South-East Asia). While we’re currently not hiring in the US, we do consider US-based applicants willing to relocate.