Senior Software Engineer (Consensus Algorithms)
Engineering – Consensus /
At Matter Labs, we are building zkSync: a blockchain scaling solution secured purely by cutting-edge cryptography. Our mission is to scale Ethereum to billions of users, fully preserving its most valuable properties — permissionlessness, trustlessness, and resilience, — in order to protect and enhance global economic freedom.
We hold a strong opinion that zero-knowledge proofs (ZKP) are the only technology today that can achieve this goal.
We are also proud to be the pioneer of the ZKP tech on Ethereum, and one of the few companies in the world with strong expertise in this field. Our contributions over the last 3 years include the first ZK rollup ever built, the first implementation of recursive ZK proofs on Ethereum, and the world’s first practical FPGA-based ZKP accelerator. Most recently, we launched a zkEVM testnet, making zkSync the first ZK rollup capable of executing native Ethereum smart contracts.
Across all hires we make at Matter Labs, regardless of role or team, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we value freedom, ownership mindset, and meritocracy.
We are looking for senior software engineers to join our core team.
- You will be in charge of implementing a PoS consensus algorithm for zkSync
- We expect you to independently conduct research in your area of ownership, design, implement and document solutions
- Driven by passion, curiosity, and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the world
- 2+ years of experience with consensus algorithms
- Fluency in Rust, C++, Golang, or similar languages. We are working primarily with Rust, but prior experience with this language is not mandatory
- Deep understanding of software engineering best-practices
- Ownership mindset and a track record of successfully accomplished projects
- Good oral and written English
- Lastly, it is critical that you have knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational and memory complexities, as well as experience of implementing them from scratch
Working at Matter Labs
You will receive highly competitive compensation and equity options. The roles are fully remote, but you are welcome to sit in one of our offices, or a co-working space of your choice. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be more productive.
Working at Matter Labs it’s critically important that our goals and values (freedom, ownership mindset, and meritocracy) align. Building a potentially globally transformative product, we value diversity of thought, and believe that diversity of thought comes from diversity of backgrounds. We welcome applicants from across the spectrum of all: race, gender, ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, age, religion, spirituality, identity and experience.
Apply now if this role sounds of interest and we aim to let you know next steps in your applications as soon as possible.