VP of Research
Engineering – Cryptography /
At Matter Labs, we are building zkSync: a zero-knowledge rollup (ZK-rollup) Ethereum Layer 2 scaling solution. Our mission is to accelerate the mass adoption of crypto for personal sovereignty. zkSync’s core technology – an EVM-compatible ZK-rollup – is designed to scale Ethereum without degrading its decentralization or security.
Across all hires at Matter Labs we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours – where we value freedom, an ownership mindset, and excellence.
We’ve raised a total of $458 million to help us achieve this mission from investors such as Blockchain Capital, Dragonfly Capital, LightSpeed Venture Partners, Variant, Andreessen Horowitz (“a16z”), and many more. This includes $200 million dedicated to an ecosystem fund coming from BitDAO.
We’re driven by our mission and guided by our values, the most fundamental of which is freedom. That’s why we’ve decided to release zkSync 2.0 under MIT Open Source at the Fair Onboarding Alpha milestone. Open-sourcing zkSync 2.0 will give the ecosystem the freedom to view, to modify, and to fork the code. This will be the first time a general-purpose ZK-rollup is fully open-sourced. For the latest updates check out our Twitter.
As Matter Labs’ VP of Research you will play a pivotal role in driving the strategic direction of Matter Labs and report directly to our Chief Scientist, Alex Vlasov.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Responsible for the full system design, including both which statements we will prove for the execution environment (VM design) and how we will prove it (circuit implementation)
- Manage a small team of great engineers
- Ability to be hands on when required. Yes, most of the time you will write code and not sit in meetings
What We Look For in You:
- Experience with strongly-typed languages. Even though all our codebase is in Rust, Rust knowledge is not required. We expect you to be able to learn Rust quickly if necessary
- Experience in implementing cryptographic primitives. At least minimal experience with circuit design is required. You should understand at least how branching works in circuits
- Knowledge of modern zero knowledge proof protocols, it’s components and compositions: Plonk, Fractal, FRI, Orion, etc
- Basic familiarity with Ethereum execution layer
- Experience managing an engineering team
- Ideally you should be able to solve the following simple task: assuming existence of circuit implementation of SHA round function like “fn round_function(state: State, buffer: [Byte; 64]) -> State” implement a circuit function that can compute Sha256 hash for any number of bytes up to 2048 (it should be a single circuit only depending on the upper bound of input bytes)
- The most important characteristic is creativity and willingness to go above and beyond - start with something basic, and do better than anything created ever before. Web3 should progress faster and faster to become globally accepted and recognized
Working at Matter Labs
You will receive highly competitive compensation and stock options. The roles are fully remote, but you are welcome to work from one of our offices, or a co-working space of your choice. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
When working at Matter Labs, it is critically important that our goals and values (freedom, ownership mindset, and excellence) align. Building a globally transformative product, we value diversity of thought, and believe that diversity of thought comes from a range of backgrounds. We welcome applicants across the spectrum of race, gender, ethnicity, culture, sexual orientation, age, religion, spirituality, identity and experience.
Apply now if this role sounds of interest and we aim to get back to you as soon as possible.