Software Development Manager
Technology – Engineering /
We’re Kira Systems. We’ve built machine learning software that enlightens the world’s enterprises by enabling them to truly know what’s in their contracts and documents. We’re deliberate in our decision making, clear on our mission and – most importantly – passionate about pairing the power of human know-how with a powerful product.
We’ve got an HQ in Toronto, but we’re a global workforce. From building trusted partnerships with our clients to delivering an employee experience that is second to none, our people are at the center of all that we do.
We are hiring a Software Development Manager to lead a small group of high performing developers and quality assurance engineers responsible for leveraging the power of our machine learning core through various user interfaces in a way that feels intuitive to our end users, enabling them to focus on their work.
The pod is one of our many multifunctional teams building and improving our combination of SaaS and on-premises application in close cooperation with Product and Design. Since our establishment we have gone far and have built a powerful tool relied upon by some of the world’s largest professional service firms and corporations. We are now ready to take the application to the next level through modern design practices and innovation. In this role you will leverage your extensive technical expertise as well as leadership skills to lead, motivate and strengthen our team.
Apart from strong leadership, you will be responsible for high level architecture and design, technical mentoring, and process improvements for your team. You will also collaborate with your fellow managers and other departments to make wider-ranging process and technical improvements at the departmental level. We follow agile methodology in our delivery, however, as the Software Development Manager you will be responsible for the tasks delegation, orchestration, dependencies and overall product delivery of the pod. At this stage of Kira’s growth, this position will have a huge influence on our direction and success.
This role is suitable for a Software Development Manager with Front-End and/or Back-End Development expertise.
Our office is based in downtown Toronto, however, we are now all working from home due to Covid-19.
What You Will Be Doing
- Managing a small group of 5-7 onsite and remote developers and quality assurance engineers, who are embedded with you into a larger cross-functional team
- Leading the team through technical evolution towards scalable and modern architectures
- Ensuring overall team product development delivery is successful and on time
- Delegating and orchestrating tasks and managing dependencies
- Collaborating with other leaders to align towards common goals
- Iterating on improving the agile development process in cross-functional teams
- Inspiring and motivating the developers
- Participating in various design and technical discussions and reviews
What You Bring - Leadership
- The ability to communicate complex ideas clearly
- The ability to thrive in an ambiguous and agile environment
- The ability to forecast and be two steps ahead of the team and development
- The ability to detect early when something feels out of alignment and find ways to address it promptly and effectively
- Desire to use your hard-earned skills as well as teach them
- Enthusiasm for constant improvement within your team and beyond
- At 8-10+ years of combined development and leadership experience including at least 1-2 years in a management role
What You Bring - Technical
- Industry experience as an accomplished developer in a decision-making position who has evolved into a skilled manager
- Technical experience in designing, implementing, and supporting SaaS applications that scale. Bonus if you have had some On-Prem experience also
- Demonstrated experience mastering programming languages, including tools and ecosystems. Bonus if you already know Clojure or Go
- Understanding of databases (relational and otherwise)
- Understanding of machine learning fundamentals is an asset
- Knowledge and experience using cloud computing tools
- Understanding of security by design and basics of web application security
- Technology agnostic and pragmatic engineering approach focused on problem solving
Why join Kira Systems?
We’ve got a dream team. Kira Systems is filled with smart, curious, independent, and self-motivated people. Together, we make up a culture that values diversity of thought, creative thinking and fun.
There is room to grow. We work on challenging problems. It’s hard (in a good way) and it gives ample opportunities for growth. We also believe in the power of learning. We provide an annual learning budget to all Kirans, as well as regular learning sessions hosted by internal and external experts.
The future is flexible. While we’re all remote right now, we have a number of fully remote team members around the world. Covid-19 has reminded us that our health and well-being come before anything, which means you have flexibility when it comes to designing your work day. It also means that we have a flexible vacation policy that allows you to take time off when you need it.
We’ve always got your back. Literally. Got a knot in your back? We have a comprehensive health and benefits plan for you and your family, as well as access to Employee Assistance Programs. We’ve also implemented “Kira Days” in the past year, otherwise known as “company shut-down days.” These provide an opportunity for everyone to step back and recharge at the same time.
We are award-winning! For two years in a row, we’ve been named one of Canada's Top 10 Best Workplaces for Companies with 100-999 Employees by Great Place to Work Canada. We’ve also been named one of Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures by Waterstone Human Capital.
Kira Systems believes that at the foundation of our success are the people who work here. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe our diversity is a driver of success at our company. Any race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status are welcome here. Accommodations are available on request for all aspects of the selection process.
Please be aware that due to the nature of our business all successful candidates must clear a background check before beginning employment.