Research – Design /
We’re Kira Systems. We’ve built machine learning software that enlightens the world’s enterprises by enabling them to truly know what’s in their contracts and documents. We’re bold in our decision making, clear on our mission and – most importantly – passionate about pairing the power of human know-how with a powerful product.
We’ve got an HQ in Toronto, but we’re a global workforce. From building trusted partnerships with our clients to delivering an employee experience that is second to none, our people are at the center of all that we do.
We are looking for a versatile Product Designer to continue iterating on our products, ideate on new features that add value, and explore new use cases around building apps on top of Kira’s ML technology. You will work through the full cycle design process, including user research to uncover and document user needs, scoping out design requirements, ideation, prototyping, creating design flows, and testing and iterating quickly.
All our Product Designers work as members of cross-functional “pods” where they collaborate closely with a Product Manager, UX Researcher, and multiple developers to fully own their product roadmap, metrics, and add value for our customers. Designers also collaborate outside the pods with our ML Research team, Customer Value, Sales, and Marketing teams to facilitate workshops, lead co-creation activities, and contribute to our wider strategy, and customer facing initiatives. You’ll join a diverse, growing team of Researchers and Designers from various professional backgrounds that are passionate about solving complex problems, and continuously finding new ways to learn and grow! As part of the design team at Kira, you are always encouraged to bring new ideas to the table, and share your learnings widely in the tech community or even at the global scale. (Examples from our team: How to Create UXR Roadmaps in Miro, Getting into Your Product Manager’s Head, Google Panel: Passing the Toothbrush Test, How I Learned to Code in 10 Days As A Designer).
What You’ll be Doing
- Leading the end-to-end design process on your pod, from discovery to delivery
- Strive to understand users with empathy through data and feedback
- Partner with product managers & engineering to provide input on our roadmap
- Collaboratively help scope features with pod by evaluating their design feasibility
- Explore and experiment with various design options within constraints
- Collaborate with UX researchers on feedback sessions & usability testing
- Create compelling flows, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and UI mockups while keeping in mind the overall architecture and experience
- Ensure designs are well documented for developers and deliver thoughtful and delightful experiences
- Contribute to our Design System for the overall success and coherence of the product
- Be an advocate for good design practices within Kira
- Stay up to date with useful design tools and industry best practices
What You Bring
- 2-4 years experience as a Product Designer or UX Designer
- Ideally, you have been a part of a Saas team that has shipped a successful digital product. (Bonus points for B2B)
- Strong understanding of the end-to-end design process and fluency with tools like Figma
- Customer Centric: You have empathy for users and show willingness to understand their point of view
- Evidence Based: You make data driven decisions and can learn quickly from mistakes
- Comfortable with Ambiguity: You can adapt to new situations quickly, and are willing to help. Since we are shaping the future, you may encounter unknown use cases
- Self Starter: You take initiative, own your projects are come armed with solutions
- Communication: You can clearly articulate your ideas + thinking behind your decisions to different stakeholders (verbal, written, or in visual formats)
- Collaboration: You are a team player who enjoys collaborating
- Passion for for learning and a mindset of continuous improvement
- Technical knowledge of APIs, integrations, and front end frameworks will be a huge asset in communicating with developers
A Plus If You Have
Meet Your Hiring Team:
Talent Acquisition Partner: Roxy Keshavarznia - Roxy joined Kira in January 2019 after working for various Toronto-based startups in People Operations and Talent roles. At Kira, Roxy focuses on hiring for our Marketing, Product, Operations, Research and People team. linkedin.com/in/roxykesh
Hiring Lead: Farwa Kazmi - Farwa is an award-winning product design leader and entrepreneur with 10+ years in digital. Having worked with both agencies and a few tech startups in AI & Fintech, Farwa founded a product consultancy before joining Kira as our Director of Product Design in September 2019. Farwa is highly active in the design & tech community as an avid speaker, advisor, mentor, and educator.linkedin.com/in/farwa-k-70704a5a
Heidi Mok - Heidi is a Senior Product Designer who joined Kira in October 2018. She started her career in Design back in 2009 working on various projects for a design consultancy. She is an OCAD grad and sessional instructor passionate about teaching and discussing topics like interpreting data and behaviour. linkedin.com/in/heidi-mok-8323169
Chelsea Kerr - Chelsea joined Kira in May 2018 as a Product Designer and was promoted to Senior Product Designer in April 2020. She started her career in 2008 as a Graphic Designer and has since expanded to UI, Web Development and Product Design. She does it all! linkedin.com/in/chelseakerrdesign
Zach McDonald - Zach joined Kira in January 2019 as a UX Researcher. After attending University in the US, Zach started his career in January 2016 working for various companies doing research operations, planning and conducting user experience research. Whether it’s on a hockey team or in the workplace, you can always count on him to be a team player, Zach is highly collaborative, enjoys mentoring and meeting new people in the UXR community. linkedin.com/in/zacharymcdonald
Shan Syed - Shan spent his early years in startups in development and leadership roles before joining Kira in July 2019. Shan has extensive experience with large scale production systems and over 20 years in end to end software development. https://www.linkedin.com/in/shan-syed-258028142/
Values Fit Interviewers: Our values are universal at Kira Systems, so you might meet some people from a completely different part of the company. We do this to give applicants a chance to meet people outside their immediate team, and to give them an opportunity to ask questions to a diverse group of “Kirans.”
Meet our Founders: During your interview process, you’ll have the opportunity to meet one of our founders. Take a look at their LinkedIn profiles to learn a bit more about Noah and Alex.
Why join Kira Systems?
Team. Our team is filled with smart, curious, independent, self-motivated people. Together, we make up a culture that values diversity of thought, creative thinking and fun.
Personal Development. We work on challenging problems. It’s hard – in a good way. We also believe in the power of learning. In addition to regular Lunch and Learns and internal learning opportunities, we provide all ‘Kirans’ with an annual learning budget.
We <3 remote work. We have a number of fully remote team members around the world. Additionally, our Toronto-based Kirans have the flexibility to work from home when needed.
Flexible vacation policy? Check. We know how important it is to take time to recharge. Our flexible vacation policy allows you to take the time you need.
We are award-winning! We've recently been named Canada's 3rd Best Workplaces for Companies with 100-999 Employees by Great Place to Work Canada and one of Canada's Most Admired Corporate Cultures by Waterstone Human Capital.
Lots of benefits and perks. We’ve got your back. Literally. Got a knot in your back? We have a comprehensive health and benefits plan for you and your family.
Kira Systems believes that at the foundation of our success are the people who work here. We are an equal opportunity employer and believe our diversity is a driver of success at our company. Any race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status are welcome here. Accommodations are available on request for all aspects of the selection process.
Please be aware that due to the nature of our business all successful candidates must clear a background check before beginning employment.