Principal Designer - F1
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Design – Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Frontier are currently hard at work building a hugely exciting new franchise; an officially licensed F1 title.
We are currently offering the opportunity for a Principal Designer to join the team and play a key role in the development of this fantastic project.
As Principal Designer, you will be instrumental in ensuring that the overarching game vision is successfully translated into compelling experiences that bring home the excitement, intensity and strategy associated with F1. You will be expected to lead by example, mentoring other members of the design team, guiding and supporting them in terms of output, skills development and process. The nature of franchise development will require that you are forward thinking and able to help plan for how the experience will evolve in future iterations.
- Design – Involved at every stage of a project:
- Preproduction; Concept, prototype, iterate, document and scope. Identify the design, pipelines and tools that will facilitate the team to succeed and deliver on the vision
- Production; Collaborate, create and assess. Deliver on the core experience and content
- Release/live; Play, feedback and balance
- Communicate and Champion- Ensure that the game design is clearly communicated and fully understood cross discipline. Ensure that feedback is assessed and acted on where appropriate.
- Deliver – Help define milestones, manage risks, delegate effectively and support staffing strategies to ensure quality and to mitigate risk.
- Enrich – Support an environment where team members are encouraged to grow and develop and work cohesively together.
- Reporting – Reporting progress, risks and offer insights into opportunities and improvements.
- Significant games industry experience. Preferably full development lifecycles on multiple AAA game titles, ideally in the management and/or strategy genres.
- Confident in communicating across the game team and to wider stakeholders
- Direct experience of designing and delivering game features and assets using current industry standard tools or equivalent proprietary software. Experience with Unreal Engine an advantage.
- Experience in team building, management and mentoring with strong interpersonal skills
- Experienced at scheduling, estimating and prioritising work
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.