Engineering Manager (Warhammer: Age of Sigmar)
Programming – Coding /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 700 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
As our Engineering Manager on our Warhammer: Age of Sigmar RTS (AoS) development team, you will collaborate with the Lead Programmers and other stakeholders on the AoS development team to ensure your team prioritises and produces work to deliver the artistic and creative vision for the title.
A key part of the role is to balance the needs of stakeholders and work with your team to capture the required code related features. You and your team will then be tasked with creating a technical plan to deliver these features and produce a roadmap for them.
To be successful in this role you’ll need to be passionate about improvement, efficiency and communication. You’ll work with a diverse team of programmers with differing levels of experience and domain knowledge. You will make valuable contributions to the code-base through both your leadership and hands-on programming.
- Line manage and lead a group of talented and passionate programmers with diverse skillsets and experience. This will include team development, recruitment, performance management, coaching and mentoring
- Work with the AoS Lead Programmers on how the engineering team can best achieve the technical direction.
- Supervise and coordinate the planning and delivery of work from the AoS engineering team
- Promote and support cross discipline collaboration
- Oversee the development and creation of internal documentation, best standards and practices
- Develop and improve practices like code reviews and knowledge sharing
- Identify and resolve skill and resource gaps within the team with a view to delivering the AoS creative team’s vision
- Liaise with Frontier’s Shared Technology Group (STG) to ensure feature requests from the AoS Team to the STG are provided with clear specifications and delivery windows.
- Use your technical programming skills and experience to help the team solve complex problems
- Keep your programming skills up to date and support the team by identifying appropriate opportunities to make your own hands-on contribution to the code-base
- Excellent communication skills, which will enable you to motivate your team and get your views and opinions across effectively
- Proven people management and leadership skills with a passion for developing individuals and teams
- A programming background in PC and/or console game development is desirable
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take important decisions
- Experience with identifying and developing compromises for stakeholders with differing needs
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.