Head of UI
Development – Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
What’s the role?
In this newly created Head of UI role, you will work closely with Game Directors and the other discipline Heads, playing a key role as the visionary for the department and its growth, championing it at all levels. In this important senior role, you will lead a cross-discipline UI team of currently c.25 people, including UI Code, UI Design and UI Art and its work across all projects, from concept to shipping.
Reporting directly into our Chief Creative Officer, you will use your well-developed leadership skills to foster a team culture of ownership, collaboration and passion. Having developed a good understanding of your team’s strengths, you will assign staff to the right projects to best deliver the executive goals, develop existing staff and grow the team to meet the demands of our exciting and ambitious roadmap.
Why could it be the role for you?
As a member of our Development Leadership Team, you will lead on the development of outstanding UI, which will be critical to the success of multiple projects across a range of exciting IPs including Formula 1, Warhammer, Elite Dangerous and our Planet franchise as well as future unannounced titles.
We can offer a competitive salary to attract the best, a significant annual on-target company bonus, a generous annual equity grant, private medical insurance, flexible working and a comprehensive financial and practical relocation support package as well as a range of other benefits and perks.
We are continuing to work remotely during the pandemic but it is expected that when we return you will be able to work at least 3 days per week in our Cambridge studio. We attract top industry talent from around the world and are able to sponsor visas and cover associated costs should it be required.
Please see below for further details and contact Matt Dunlop (firstname.lastname@example.org) in our Talent Acquisition Team for an informal chat. We would love to hear from you!
- Provide Vision – You will develop the meta UI experience from project kick-off through wireframes, pre-vis and moodboards with the aim of delivering the executive vision and in doing so identify the UI team and pipelines best placed to succeed
- Evangelise – Communicate your ideas to Executive Producers, Game Directors and Leads to build confidence and excitement around the UI direction of a project, be it a new IP or improvements upon an existing franchise
- Deliver - Define milestones, manage risks, delegate effectively and provide staffing strategies to efficiently achieve goals required for both performance and schedule. Liaise with Game Directors, the Directors of Tech and Art as well as discipline Heads to mitigate risk
- Lead and Develop - provide an environment where team members can grow and evolve as part of a positive, motivated and cohesive team
- Design – We believe Heads should never lose touch with the skills that got them there so we welcome their involvement in creating wireframes and supporting materials to clarify the game’s direction and the strategies to achieve a rewarding user experience
- Build Co-Dev Relationships – Support Game Directors and Project UI leads with external client relations and outsourcing in respect of UI
- Provide Insightand report progress – As a ‘Head of’ you will update Discipline Heads on progress and pro-actively share your previous experiences and knowledge to continuously improve how we do things.
- Significant games industry experience of full development lifecycles on multiple complex game titles
- Excellent leadership and management skills with a proven track record in developing and motivating high-performing teams
- Hands-on experience designing, procuring and delivering UI using current industry standard tools
- Critical and analytical thinker
- Excellent influencing skills to get your views and opinions across effectively and, where appropriate, challenge others to ensure the best possible outcomes are achieved
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take important decisions
- Ability to communicate effectively within a large group and multiple project environment.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.