Development – Art /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have an exciting opportunity for you if you have a deep passion for VFX! Come and join our development team and work on exciting new projects like our brand new Formula 1 franchise.
Frontier is looking for a talented Visual Effects Artist to join our high calibre team in creating effects for exciting new projects. Working alongside our experienced team of developers, you will have the opportunity to improve your skillset alongside some of the best creatives in the industry!
We are a highly focused, ambitious team, looking for a VFX Artist who lives and breathes VFX, as well as being passionate about video games in general.
The role is multi-faceted, requiring a solid understanding of the core principles of VFX: gameplay, shape, timing, motion, contrast, colour and composition. As a VFX Artist at Frontier, you will play a critical role in driving our games in to the next generation of immersive experiences. What are you waiting for?
- Work with the VFX team to plan and deliver stunning realistic and stylised VFX, using our proprietary game engine and tools.
- Use our in-house particle editor and other tools to create high quality effects such as fire, smoke, explosions, debris, clouds and more, and help to influence the further development of internal technologies.
- Work with the art and design team on all VFX aspects of game development.
- Collaborate with our dedicated team of artists, designers, animators and programmers to realise our ambition for next gen visuals.
- Demonstrate creativity and technical ability, ensuring VFX are performant and in budget.
- Candidates must have previous experience as a VFX Artist, or a strong portfolio of work which demonstrates a high level of skill in VFX.
- A strong understanding of the core principles of VFX: gameplay, shape, timing, motion, contrast, colour and composition.
- Attention to detail is crucial, backed up by observation skills to create authentic, believable and dynamic effects.
- A solid understanding of real time game engines and particle systems.
- A mind-set that encompasses both the aesthetic and technical aspects of VFX as well as a proactive, pragmatic and inquisitive nature to find the best possible way to create an effect.
- An understanding of how to create effects which are efficient and well balanced.
- Great communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively on shared projects.
- Knowledge of the range of visual techniques employed in delivering high quality effects in modern games.
- Keen understanding of memory and performance pitfalls as well as techniques and tricks a VFX Artist can employ to avoid them.
- Experience with 3D and image manipulation software, such as Maya, FumeFX, Photoshop, After Effects, and Houdini or other equivalents.
- Strong awareness of industry technology trends.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Love of video games.
- Knowledge of game lighting and other FX systems such as full screen effects etc is beneficial
- Experience in films is beneficial if you can also demonstrate working in a real time environment.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.