Complex Games - Winnipeg – Design /
Founded in 2001, Complex Games has over 20 years' experience with an ambition of becoming a global leader in the development of innovative Tactical RPGs, including the recent success of turn-based PC strategy game Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate – Daemonhunters. The studio is based in Winnipeg, Canada, and employs 20 talented and passionate people including its founders and several other industry veterans. We‘re now growing the team and looking forward to making even more great games in the future as part of Frontier. Come join us!
As part of our continued growth we have a vacancy for a Game Designer to join our fantastic team on Chaos Gate. In this role you will work on balancing, improving and adding mechanics and systems to delight our loyal fans, as well as help build exciting new titles we have in the works.
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a studio with a track record of delivering successful Tactical RPGs and work with our experienced and passionate teams as you develop your career with us.
This is an on-site role in the Winnipeg Studio (Complex Games). We can offer a relocation package for the right candidate.
- Communicate your ideas to your Lead, Creative Director and the rest of the design team clearly and concisely.
- Accepting of feedback and able to adapt designs to the broader needs of the project as a whole.
- Analyze, Identify and communicate potential risks in your and others mechanics/systems concepts.
- Collaborate with the art team to ensure that gameplay goals are achieve while maintaining visual excellence.
- Playtesting and balancing to ensure a high level of quality.
- Prepare and oversee targeted testing plans to gain constructive insight to improve the quality and playability of game systems and interface.
- Prepare detailed game design documentation
- Strong analytical and mathematical skills applied towards balancing systems and/or economies.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Able to take feedback and understand how to interpret it in order to revise and improve on your work
- Good at coping with deadlines, able to make clear and constructive decisions in a timely manner, and remain positive whilst under pressure
- Hold a deep understanding of how your areas of responsibility fit in to the game as a whole
- Ability to view games from both player and developer perspectives
- Passionate about turn-based tactics and strategy games
- Previously shipped titles
- Practical experience working on games in the Unity Game Engine
- Experience adjusting existing systems to refine and balance gameplay
- Experience with onboarding players via tutorials and in-game guidance
- Experience with user-interface design.
If you have any examples of whole games and/or game design documentation that you have worked on (professional or otherwise) please include them alongside your application.
What we can offer you
You'll work directly with a friendly and experienced team that is striving to push the envelope in the tactical RPG space by creating challenging new worlds with compelling cinematic narratives.
We provide a competitive salary, our Frontier annual bonus scheme and an extended health and benefits plan.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.