Graduate Localisation Tools Programmer
Cambridge / Hybrid /
Operations – Localisation /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Purpose of the role
As part of our Localisation team you will develop and support Frontier and Frontier Foundry titles with localisation specific tools and processes. You will contribute ideas for how to extend Cobra to deliver great workflows for content creators, and collaborate with Localisation, Shared Technology Group, and project programmers to determine how the tooling and runtime components fit together. As localisation tools programmer you will focus your efforts on tools development, and assist specialists in other areas to understand the code they develop to complement those tools.
You will work closely with programmers and content creators on game projects to understand and influence how assets are built, how the game uses them, and what processes are used to create our games. You will contribute directly to Cobra and its supporting pipelines, take ownership of proprietary tools used with Cobra based games, and promote best-use of existing tools for game development.
- Supporting the localisation development tools that we use to build games.
- Working with other programmers and content creators to design effective workflows and development pipelines.
- Writing user and technical documentation.
- Evangelising tools and mentoring others in how to use them.
- Passionate about working on tools that will be used by many different developers across a wide range of disciplines.
- Possess analytical and problem solving skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with other developers.
- Have an understanding of how to write maintainable systems.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of C# programming.
- Experience in the creation of user documentation.
- Familiarity with SOAP, REST APIs.
- Familiarity with source control (SVN, GIT, Perforce etc.).
- Understanding of design patterns and system architecture.
- Familiarity with web application security principals.
- Familiarity with WPF / XAML.
- Exposure to contemporary game creation tools and workflows.
- Exposure to memoQ or other CAT/TEnT software.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.