Machine Learning Programmer
Cambridge / Remote /
Programming – Coding /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We have an exciting opportunity for a core programmer with machine learning experience to work with our highly talented and experienced core programming team to help develop and integrate machine learning pipelines to our engine and tools.
Our Cobra engine is extremely versatile and used to develop a wide variety of game genres. As our portfolio of games expands, we are seeking to build upon recent innovations in machine learning. We are exploring ways to make our existing pipelines more efficient and developing tools and technologies to empower future game experiences.
Cobra plays a huge part in our future success and enables our Game teams to realise their creative visions. Your passion for machine learning technology will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
- Integrating machine learning processes into our development pipelines.
- Championing potential applications for machine learning algorithms to enhance our games.
- Developing and supporting automated testing frameworks to ensure machine learning systems are robust and consistent.
- Writing detailed technical documentation for machine learning systems.
- Constructively analysing where alternative approaches may be preferred to machine learning.
- Collaborate with other departments interested in using machine learning algorithms in their systems.
- An eye for how a good API should be presented.
- A passion for all things machine learning and games development.
- Passionate about writing maintainable systems and under the hood code that will be used by many different developers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback in order to strive for continuous improvement.
- Good at managing competing demands for your time.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Experience writing machine learning systems in a games development environment.
- Good knowledge of the current state of the art of machine learning techniques.
- Advanced understanding of C++ and software engineering principles.
- Advanced understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience with console development.
- Experience developing engine systems and robust public facing API’s.
- Knowledge of how multiplatform engine development will effect choices for machine learning systems.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.