Development – Programming /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have an exciting opportunity for a core programmer to work with our highly talented and experienced core programming team. You will help to maintain as well as develop features for our Cobra engine.
Our Cobra engine is extremely versatile and used to develop a wide variety of game genres. As we expand our portfolio of games we continue and add new features and optimisations to Cobra.
Cobra plays a huge part in our future success and enables our Game teams to realise their creative visions. Your passion for core engine technology will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
- Writing new features, maintaining and optimising systems for the Cobra Engine.
- Expanding our unit-testing frameworks to ensure that new changes or platform implementations work as intended.
- Writing technical documentation for Cobra Systems.
- Helping to mentor people going through the Cobra Induction new starter training program.
- Collaborate with game development teams on feature requests to present an API suitable for the their requirements as well as an implementation that is clean, robust, well tested and suitable for use across all our games.
- Diagnosing bug reports and implementing fixes.
- Collaborate with game teams during important deadlines and releases to address any issues they may need support with.
- Advising and/or implementing interesting and difficult longer term problems for our talented gameplay teams.
- An eye for how a good API should be presented.
- Passionate about writing under the hood code that will be used by many different developers.
- Good understanding of how to write maintainable systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback in order to strive for continuous improvement.
- Good at managing competing demands for your time.
- Enjoys mentoring and helping programmers to improve.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Advanced understanding of C++ and software engineering principles.
- Advanced understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience developing engine systems and robust public facing API’s.
- Familiarity with multithreading and writing asynchronous systems.
- Experience with console development.
- Track record of engine systems programming in released AAA games.
- Knowledge of what is required for Certification and release of console games.
- Good natural technical writing ability.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.