Project Audio Lead - Planet Franchise
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Audio – Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have an opportunity for an experienced Project Audio Lead to work on the continued development of our Planet franchise of games.
If you’re familiar with Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo, you’ll know that we craft richly detailed, creative and technically accurate worlds that are full of fun and charm!
- Demonstrable experience as a senior, principal or lead on par with Frontier Developments other projects
- Ambitious for audio in games, progressive in approach and open to idea sharing and brainstorming
- Translate vision into functional plans and guide their execution
- Build strong relationships with people from within your teams and across other disciplines
- Can significantly impact and influence technical and aesthetic direction within your own discipline and beyond
- Inspire others by example and always seeks to raise the audio quality bar and the end-user experience
- Frequently advise colleagues on complex audio or project related matters and mentor junior and senior audio team members
- Can operate autonomously from the Head of Audio Design and keep them well informed of all project developments, challenges and risks
- Trusted and empowered explicitly to make decisions in the best interests of the project and project audio quality
- Accountable for results, which may impact the whole discipline and/or project
- Liaising with both outsource /external partners and QA/Production
- Can delegate and manage team tasks throughout the project lifetime
- Help cultivate an optimistic, fun, collaborative and above all, productive atmosphere within the audio team and beyond!
As a Project Audio Lead you are a:
- Natural communicator and always looking to build strong relationships with people from within your team and across other disciplines
- Creative visionary full of interesting, unexpected and functional ideas to propel the project forwards
- Collaborator that cultivates and stimulates ideas of people at all levels, helping them to overcome technical and creative hurdles without explicitly telling them what to do
- Leader that will adapt to the needs of your team and know (or are open to learn) how to communicate with diverse people of different backgrounds
- Conceptual thinker that can understand complex issues, their application and implications and can closely collaborating with audio code to achieve the required aesthetic given the technical constraints of the project platform(s)
- Planner, having a longer term and scalable view to implementing solutions and taking into account both multiple perspectives and future implications while helping the leadership team identify future gaps in knowledge, personnel or technology
- Vision holder for audio in our games, progressive in approach and open to idea sharing and brainstorming
- Optimistic inspiration to others and lead by example, seeking to raise the audio quality bar and the user experience
Your role on the Planet Franchise:
- Join cross project meetings and be a champion for audio, understanding how the work that other departments does can slot into future audio deliveries, and what needs to be done to accommodate those deliveries
- Use your experience to fully understand the implications of decisions that your team makes, and intervene when it could bring risks to the project
- Plan "management of scale" both in terms of content in the context of working closely with Audio Design Services and the project team group itself
- Find room for adding detailed sound design and help create a rich, intricate soundscape that is fully immersive from the "ground perspective"
- Understand the technical and creative hurdles that get in the way of an ever changing soundscape that is always adapting to user generated content and the user controlled camera
- Work with the Dialogue team to oversee recording and recording schedules
- Work cross discipline with animation, art, ui and game design to help them understand the requirements and possibilities of excellent audio
- Create assets to be used in the game, learn the tools, be a creative voice on the project!
- Assign ownership to audio designers and provide functional and constructive feedback to help them grow
What the Frontier Audio Team offers:
- A team of over 50 people, supporting a multitude of projects and create and technical challenges, with plenty opportunity to grow as a specialist or generalist
- Dedicated audio producers, programmers, technical sound designers and pipeline specialists per project - to help with planning, implementation, code side solutions and workflow optimizations
- The freedom to explore what you think is best for a project, with a flat leadership structure that doesn't get in the way of best (planned) solutions
- Opportunity to work on diverse genre's - in the last 7 years the audio team has collaborated on spaceships, energy and ballistic weapons, naturalistic animals, impressionistic crowds, mechanical rides, Formula 1 cars, dinosaurs, roller-coasters, cinematic cutscene's, music redesigns, fantasy and realistic dialogue, spells, foley and creatures
- A matured set of tools, pipelines and middleware to make the most of your sound design skills, bolstered by robust build automation and automated testing
- Generous budget for current audio libraries and industry leading audio tools
- Access to two calibrated 7.1 mixing rooms, a fully fitted VO recording room and a room with Foley pits and hardware to go on recording trips
- Dedicated audio rooms with sound proofing and isolation plus hardware support for remote or hybrid working
- We strive for realistic deadlines and properly staffed projects with a proven technology base to mitigate against overtime as a project delivery strategy - work that you love shouldn't turn into a pressure-cooker
- A team that's collaborative, not afraid of feedback and highly motivated by our projects and collaborative nature
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.