Audio Tools Programmer
Development – Programming /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
As part of our audio team, you will develop and support audio tools in the COBRA engine along with game-specific tools and processes that empower our team to push the boundaries of interactive audio. You will contribute ideas for how to extend COBRA to deliver great workflows for audio designers and audio riggers, and collaborate with runtime audio programmers to determine how the tooling and runtime components fit together. As a specialist tools programmer you will focus your efforts on tools development, and assist specialists in other areas to understand the code they develop to complement those tools.
You will work closely with programmers and content creators to understand and influence how assets are built, how the runtime game uses them, and what processes are used to create our games. You will contribute directly to the COBRA engine and supporting pipelines, take ownership of proprietary tools used with COBRA games, and promote best-use of existing tools for game development.
- Creating and supporting the development tools that we use to make great sounding games
- Working with the audio team and other tools programmers to design effective workflows and development pipelines
- Identifying new technologies and processes that will improve the sonic quality of games made with COBRA
- Evangelising audio tools and mentoring others in how to build and use them
- Strong knowledge of C# programming
- Strong WPF / XAML skills
- Experience of working directly with users, from requirements capture through to product support
- Experience creating user documentation
- Familiarity with source control (SVN, GIT, Perforce etc.)
- Proven collaboration skills within a development team
- Experience in the creation and support of complex software packages
- A passion for audio production and technologies
- Experience developing audio tools inside games or in a wider context
- Experience with creating UI / UX
- Familiarity with game audio SDKs such as Wwise
- Working knowledge of C++
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, LUA)
- Understanding of design patterns and system architecture
- Experience in a test-driven development (TDD) environment
- Familiarity with contemporary game creation tools and workflows
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 600+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.