Experienced Material / Texture Artist
Art – Technical Art /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
An opportunity for an experienced Material/Texture Artist with a solid understanding of modern texturing/surfacing systems. The successful candidate will be able to work not only with members of the materials team but also Concept Artists and Art Directors to help push and unify the look of titles. They will also be passionate about creating high quality, responsive surfaces in Substance Designer, be comfortable following a concept in detail and should be able to apply their keen visual skills to the wide range of artistic styles employed by Frontier's diverse and growing catalogue of games.
Frontier uses its proprietary Cobra™ engine hand in hand with industry standard packages like Substance Designer to ensure we deliver on the vision of each title. This is one of the key roles within our team and we’re looking for candidates whose aspirations match. If you believe you have the skills and passion for this role we would love to hear from you!
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Use procedural techniques to create complex, editable materials.
- Maintain and update our Substance libraries.
- Work with the Art team to maintain consistent high quality materials throughout the game world.
- Build custom tools in Substance Designer to help improve functionality, speed, and quality.
- Create custom generators and brushes in Designer for use in Painter.
- Experience of at least one full game production cycle.
- Ability to appreciate, respond to and provide constructive critique.
- Strong observational skills and ability to translate reference into Designer materials.
- Confidence to challenge team members with solution based answers.
- Enjoy working collaboratively as part of a cross disciplinary team.
- Extensive knowledge of Substance Designer.
- Solid understanding of Physically Based Shading and rendering.
- Solid understanding of Substance Painter.
- Production experience with 3D authoring software (Maya).
- Mentoring/coaching junior members of the team.
- Experience with Real-time rendering.
- Experience with Python or other Scripting languages.
- Experience of shader creation.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.