Cambridge / Hybrid /
Programming – Online /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Frontier's Online Services team are responsible for developing, hosting & operating an increasing number of websites & game services, including high performance databases & APIs.
We are looking for an experienced server infrastructure engineer who can take the initiative with our infrastructure projects to achieve high levels of systems availability and reliability for Frontier's players.
Working with technical leads and project stakeholders within the Frontier you will take responsibility for designing, building, managing and optimising distributed systems and contributing to raising our quality bar for information security & assurance.
What does the role involve?
In the role of server infrastructure engineer you will take the initiative with new server infrastructure projects hosted on AWS and on-premise, implementing best practice to build secure, reliable and high performance systems.
As well as designing and building new systems you will be managing two infrastructure engineers to monitor, maintain and update our existing service infrastructures.
This is a varied role which will require collaborating with Online developers and other teams in Frontier to assist with code deployments, pipelines, testing, backups and reporting.
- Be part of the Online Team and sharing our values and vision for Infrastructure design, security and performance
- Take the initiative with new server infrastructure projects hosted on AWS and on-premise
- Ensure our online services remain secure, available and performant by design
- Help the team respond to critical alerts outside of normal working hours as necessary to maintain service
- Collaborate with developers on improving pipeline projects
- Line management of two infrastructure engineers
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Experience of building systems using Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Terraform, CloudFormation, Google Cloud Deployment Manager, Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
- Experience of working with cloud services (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure, etc) or a virtualised data centre (e.g. Xen, VMWare, Hyper-V, etc)
- Able to program and automate server tasks using scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Typescript, PHP)
- Confident working with various distributions of Linux and containerised software
- 2/3 years’ experience of managing production systems and you are ready for the next level of scale and automation
- Confident configuring, monitoring and debugging third party software packages such as web servers, databases & load balancers
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Linux systems such as file systems, system metrics, networking, security, logging, systemd, etc.
- Database administration (MySQL, SQL Server)
- Experience of working as a cross discipline project team
- Prior experience of the games industry is not required, but insights into game service functions and 3rd party platforms are a plus
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.