Cinematics Technical Animator
Creative Services – Cinematics /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 700 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
Purpose of the role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Animator to support the development of our internal Creative Services Cinematics team. You will work alongside the Cinematics and Animation leads and be the primary support for the animators in their rigging and tools requirements, enabling them to deliver their best work.
The ideal candidate will be highly proactive and motivated, seeking out solutions to problems while undertaking R&D endeavours alongside the Cinematics Technical Artist into new technologies and workflows that will help push the team forward.
This is a unique and incredible opportunity for a driven and passionate individual to make their mark on a new team, working with the very latest in cinematic tools and workflows across our outstanding portfolio of projects.
- To be the primary point of contact for technical animation within Creative Services
- Provide character rigging and skinning support for cinematics animators
- Identify and resolve potential animation bottlenecks in our cinematics pipeline
- Work alongside Cinematics Technical Artists to provide tool support where necessary
- Hands on involvement with Motion Capture, full body and facial
- Use your expertise and experience to advise improvements to workflows and provide input on team development when required.
- Demonstrable knowledge of character rigging and skinning process
- Experience creating and supporting tools and workflows as a technical animator on either games, film or animation
- Expert knowledge of Autodesk Maya with emphasis on its rigging, deformation and skinning systems
- Experience working with optical or inertial motion capture
- Working knowledge of Unreal Engine and blueprint
- Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team
- Highly collaborative and hands-on with problem solving.
This role can be offered on a hybrid working basis, which means you’ll have the opportunity to spend time working both in the studio and at home. You will probably be required to spend at least 50% of your time in the studio to facilitate collaboration and engagement. We can provide a comprehensive support package as part of any offer should you need to relocate.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.