Development – Programming /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We have a number of exciting opportunities for talented and enthusiastic Graduate Programmers to join our exceptional development teams here at Frontier Developments in Cambridge. We are a growing studio and expect a significant proportion of that growth to come from graduate recruitment. We are therefore looking to hire more graduates with start dates in Spring/Summer 2021. Read below to find out more and apply on-line.
Why join Frontier as a Graduate Programmer?
- We have a reputation for technological innovation. Our programmers get involved in all aspects of system architecture, design and implementation, bringing an extremely high standard of professionalism to the development of all our games. Programmers at all levels, fully contribute to a dynamic, creative and fun environment, working with advanced technology on the leading games consoles and cutting edge PCs.
- As a Graduate Programmer at Frontier you will have the opportunity to quickly make an important contribution to the development and improvement of some of the industry’s biggest and most loved games, for example Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo or the development of new games. We give our graduates interesting and challenging work from an early stage, but of course you will be supported along the way and have the opportunity work alongside and learn from our more experienced people. That’s why many of our graduates go on to develop their careers with us.
What graduate opportunities do you have?
- We have a number of exciting opportunities in different areas for graduates to join our development teams. Our game teams are small enough to be flexible but large enough to create AAA games. Every game is different but a typical game might include 25 programmers and 55 other developers. We’ve developed our own game engine (COBRA), which provides a huge range of exciting programming challenges. We also have a team concentrating on technology shared between games that bring benefits across all our projects. Most of our Graduate Programmers usually specialise in one or two areas but programmers can and do move between areas. Check out our ‘Programming Application Guidance’ page for more information on the specialisms that our programmers have developed.
Qualifications, skills & experience
- You’ll have a strong educational background including a good degree. Many of our graduates join us with degrees in a directly relevant subject e.g. Computer Science, Maths or Physics. However we are equally open to people from other degree disciplines with a strong coding element and who can demonstrate the skills and attributes we’re looking for.
- Industry experience isn’t essential but passion and enthusiasm for developing amazing games are. Any experience developing games either in industry, as an intern, or in your own time will therefore certainly help set you apart from the crowd.
- Technically you will obviously need to be capable of good code design. For more detail on the specific technical skills we look for check out the ‘Programmer Application Guidance’ page.
- Our programmers work at Frontier for the love of creating and providing our community of players with the games they love and the high quality playing experience they have come to expect from a Frontier game. We’re looking for graduates who share this passion and will relish that challenge.
- Our teams are made up of some of the most skilled, driven and talented people in the industry and when they collaborate the results are outstanding. You will therefore need good communication and team working skills to allow you to collaborate effectively with colleagues from different teams.
- Our teams are constantly reviewing each other’s work to ensure that what they deliver is of the highest standard; you’ll therefore need to be open to giving and receiving constructive feedback on a regular basis. Finally, we are looking for graduates who will take ownership and responsibility for their work. This means not only being well organised and able to plan and manage your own work but also contributing new ideas which will help us do things quicker, better or more efficiently; something that is encouraged at all levels in the studio.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.