Operations – Quality Assurance /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have an opportunity for a Build Engineer to join our team. This is an exciting opportunity to work with our game and technology teams in driving forward the way we test games and tools. The successful candidate will innovate and improve our existing automated testing and build procedures to support these projects, and will manage the various builds both internally during development and for external releases.
- Working with our existing continuous integration build setup to ensure that functioning, recent builds of our games and various tools are available to those who require them, and that development progress isn’t blocked by broken builds
- Creating new automated tests as part of our continuous integration system, and managing existing tests to ensure they remain relevant for the projects in question
- Ensuring that the build process is as fast and hassle-free as possible for all 100+ members of our teams
- Improving all aspects of the build process and systems for our various projects. This will include both the process of creating and packaging a build as well as project-specific paths such as data export and validation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members
- Willingness to work collaboratively across multiple disciplines
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback in order to strive for continuous improvement
- Good at managing competing demands for your time.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- A good degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Computing
- Experience with Continuous Integration systems such as TeamCity, Buildbot, Jenkins, CruiseControl
- Experience working with large codebases across multiple platforms.
- Knowledge of version control systems (preferably SVN)
- Recent experience with scripting languages preferably Python or Lua
- Knowledge of C++ and/or C#
- Experience with tool chains such as Microsoft Visual Studio, Xcode, CLANG, GCC for building applications targeting Windows, Mac OS X, Console and Mobile
- Knowledge of build systems such as Jam, NMake or CMake
The following would be beneficial but is not essential:
This role can be offered on a hybrid working basis, which means you’ll have the opportunity to spend time working both in the studio and at home. You will probably be required to spend at least 50% of your time in the studio to facilitate collaboration and engagement. We can provide a comprehensive support package as part of any offer should you need to relocate.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.