Cambridge / Remote /
Programming – Coding /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We have an exciting opportunity for an engine programmer to join our highly talented and experienced engine programming team. You will help to create, develop, and maintain our Cobra engine, driven by the needs of the diverse range of games that Frontier uses it to create.
Cobra plays a huge part in our future success and enables our game teams to realise their creative visions. Your passion for engine technology will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
- Writing new features for the Cobra engine, as well as extending, optimising, fixing bugs in, and maintaining existing systems.
- Driving Cobra technology forward by identifying areas for improvement and the work required to achieve this.
- Writing technical documentation for Cobra systems.
- Collaborating with and supporting game development teams to develop shared technology with clean, robust and well tested implementations and APIs.
- Providing mentoring and guidance to more junior programmers to support their growth.
- Passionate about working on under-the-hood engine systems used by many different developers across a wide variety of disciplines.
- Possess good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Have a good understanding of how to write maintainable systems with well presented APIs, that run efficiently on modern hardware.
- Able to communicate effectively with other developers.
- Able to give and receive constructive feedback in order to strive for continuous improvement.
- Able to effectively manage competing demands for your time.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Advanced understanding of C++ and software engineering principles.
- Advanced understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience developing engine systems and robust public facing API’s.
- Familiarity with multithreading and writing asynchronous systems.
- Experience with console development.
- Track record of engine systems programming in released AAA games.
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python.
- Knowledge of what is required for Certification and release of console games.
- Good natural technical writing ability.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.