Engine Programmer (Runtime)
Development – Programming /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We are looking to continue to build our runtime team here at Frontier. The runtime team is part of a team that makes up our shared technology group (STG) that helps to maintain and build our internal engine ‘Cobra’. Runtime has responsibility for a broad spectrum of fundamental systems within Cobra that work across all our supported platforms.
Runtime programmers extend, improve, and maintain these systems as well as creating new systems at this level, driven by the needs of the diverse range of games Frontier creates with Cobra.
- Writing new features for the Cobra engine, as well as extending, optimising, and maintaining existing systems.
- Driving Cobra technology forward by identifying areas for improvement and the work required to achieve this.
- Writing technical documentation for Cobra systems.
- Collaborating with game teams during important deadlines and releases to address any engine issues they may need support with.
- Providing mentoring and guidance to more junior programmers to support their growth.
- Passionate about working on low-level, 'under the hood' engine systems used by many different developers across a wide variety of disciplines.
- Possess good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Have a good understanding of how to write maintainable systems with well presented APIs, that run efficiently on modern hardware.
- Able to communicate effectively with other developers.
- Able to effectively manage competing demands for your time.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Advanced understanding of C++ and software engineering principles.
- Advanced understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience developing game engine systems and robust public-facing APIs.
- Familiarity with multi-threading and writing asynchronous systems.
- Experience with console development.
- Track record of engine systems programming in released AAA games.
- Familiarity with scripting languages such as Python.
- Good natural technical writing ability.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.