Senior 3D Character Artist - Warhammer: Age of Sigmar
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Art – Character /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We’re looking for a talented Senior 3D Character Artist to join our team to work on our exciting Warhammer: Age of Sigmar title. As a company we produce a wide spectrum of subject matter from stunningly photoreal to beautifully stylised, so populating our game worlds is always challenging and interesting. As a Senior Character Artist in our exceptional and experienced team you will be building the cast for the next generation of Frontier games.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Create high-fidelity in-game characters using Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop and Substance.
- Understand the character being created; their narrative, motivations and gameplay potential and weave that into your work.
- Collaborate with fellow Character Artists to maintain the highest quality throughout development; on budget, on time and in the style.
- A good team player with a willingness to work collaboratively, willingly taking on feedback and guidance from the rest of the team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work within an established art style.
- Exceptional level of high-polygon character modelling in ZBrush or Mudbox (ZBrush preferred).
- Extensive knowledge of 3D packages such as Maya, 3ds Max (Maya preferred).
- Proven ability across all aspect of character modelling, including anatomical, cloth and hard-surface modelling.
- Excellent Photoshop and Substance Painter texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Familiarity with the entire real-time character creation pipeline: high-poly sculpting, retopology, UV mapping, texture baking, texture creation, setting up and exporting to game.
- Awareness of the importance of mesh topology, to ensure that character models deform well when animated.
- Experience with PBR and real-time engines.
- Understanding of best working practices in terms of LOD creation and optimisation.
- Excellent communications skills are essential.
- An Art degree or relevant game art course is highly desirable.
- Flair for interpreting concept art, turning character sketches into 3D models that accurately capture the spirit of the concept.
- Adaptable attitude to working across a breadth of art styles, from high-detail realism to cartoon stylisation.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.