Animation – Rigging /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
As a Rigger at Frontier you will be working under the guidance of your lead and will become part of the character asset pipeline for our games by creating world class animation rigs for our animation teams.
Our catalogue of games covers a wide range of requirements to fit different animation targets and art styles, and our animation rigs need to reflect that. With a proud history of character animation, we continue to push and develop our animation rigs, allowing our animation team to get the best out of our incredible characters.
Great rigs allow for great animation and will play a huge part in the future success of the animation team. With games such as Jurassic World Evolution leading the way, your passion for rigging will allow us to reach the levels of quality we strive for in our games.
- Taking direction from the lead rigger to create animation rigs to enable our animation team to make incredible animations
- Develop an animation rig from a base model asset, through to a final quality rig
- Prepare, export, test and maintain in-game assets
- Set up in-engine real-time solutions such as ragdoll and IK footplanting
- Carrying out supporting rigging tasks to ensure your work supports both our animators and our game assets
- Problem solving a range of potential issues from the rig itself to the asset’s behaviour in engine
- Support graduate riggers in their development
- A great understand of rigging, deformation and underlying software principles that are required to develop animation rigs
- Ability to discuss rigging ideas and processes that will impact the animators
- An eye for rigging, anatomy principals and detail, to construct world class animation rigs
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- A willingness to confidently take on feedback from your peers in order to develop your skills as a rigger
- A rigging showreel that demonstrates a strong understanding of character rigging principals
- Professional experience using Maya
- Experience using Python scripting within Maya
- A showreel that demonstrates rigging capabilities for both quadrupedal and bipedal creatures, as well as hard body props
- Knowledge of other 3D animation packages (3ds max, Blender, XSI etc.)
- Knowledge of game development pipelines
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.