Motion Capture Specialist
Development – Animation /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
Frontier are currently looking for a Motion Capture Specialist to join our animation team. We have a proud history of great character animation, ranging from heavily stylised to realistic behaviours, across both cinematic sequences and real-time motion.
Fantastic animation will play a huge part in our future success, with upcoming games such as our Formula One project or our new Warhammer IP. Your passion for game development and animation will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games
- Work closely with the Art Director and Animation Lead to execute the defined animation style for the project
- Collaborating with the writers, art, design, and audio departments to achieve our goal of delivering industry-leading narratives to our players
- Assisting the lead animator in the definition of a motion capture pipeline
- Assisting in the design and implementation of facial animation systems
- The organisation, direction and shooting of motion capture data at an industry-standard level of quality
- Evaluating, retargeting, cleaning, adaptation and preparation of motion capture data for use in engine
- Troubleshoot and consistently present solutions to technical issues related to motion capture
- Participating in developing run-time game animation procedures & pipelines
- Mentoring less-experienced animators and documenting complicated pipelines for existing and future members of the team
- A confident and creative approach to your work, able to adapt and improve acting choices within the mocap and execute them effectively
- A high level of technical competence, able to problem solve both in the authoring and implementation of animation assets
- An eye for animation principals and detail, helping push mocap animation, to improve appeal and interest of a captured performance
- A willingness to confidently take feedback from your peers to develop your skills and raise the quality of the final game
- A showreel that demonstrates your ability to create and clean, expressive animation through the medium of motion capture
- Professional experience using Autodesk Maya
- Experience implementing motion capture data into a game engine
- Familiarity with motion capture hardware and software
- Facial Animation Experience
- Professional experience using Autodesk Motionbuilder
- Experience with the Xsens motion capture solution
- Some rigging and scripting experience
- Experience using lip-sync generation packages (e.g. FaceFX, Annosoft, SpeechGraphics)
- An interest in the highly technical, highly emotional world of Formula 1 racing.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.