Development – Programming /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We are currently looking for a number of experienced Gameplay Programmers to come and join us on one of our unannounced projects.
We are incredibly proud of the breadth and diversity of gameplay offered by Frontier's games. Our focus is on rich and complex game mechanics, supported by incredible content to create epic and memorable experiences. As part of the gameplay programming team you will have many opportunities to make major contributions to the experiences that we deliver to our players.
You will work with the whole game team to bring together the design, code and assets we create, and build the game experience that players will love. Our COBRA engine gives you the power to build elegant and efficient implementations and the freedom to innovate in technical designs. You will develop a deep understanding of the game design and implementation, and become a champion for the areas of the game that you help to shape.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Collaborating with the design and content creation teams to develop and refine game mechanics.
- Building and supporting game systems, working with the COBRA engine and the wider programming team.
- Delivering engaging player experiences through technical innovation, creative thinking and efficient working practices.
- Sharing knowledge of game systems, and mentoring others in best practices for game development.
- Programming role on at least one commercially released game for console or PC.
- Directly contributed to support and development of complex gameplay in at least one released game.
- Strong programming skills using C++ in a large codebase.
- Team programming experience working within a component-based game object/entity architecture.
- Proven cross-discipline collaboration with game designers and content creators.
- Network, simulation or AI programming role on at least one commercially released game.
- Advanced knowledge of Lua programming.
- Familiarity with adding features post-release to games with active players.
- Experienced full commercial game development lifecycle from prototyping, through production to post-release support.
- Cross-platform development experience including Xbox One or Playstation 4.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.