Development – Art /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
We’re looking for a talented Character Artist to join our team and welcome applications from experienced candidates or Graduates. As a company we produce a wide spectrum of subject matter from stunningly photoreal to beautifully stylised, so populating our game worlds is always challenging and interesting. As a Character Artist in our exceptional and experienced team you will be building the cast for the next generation of Frontier games.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Create high-fidelity in-game characters using Maya, ZBrush, Photoshop and Substance.
- Understand the character being created; their narrative, motivations and gameplay potential and weave that into your work.
- Collaborate with fellow Character Artists to maintain the highest quality throughout development; on budget, on time and in the style.
- A good team player with a willingness to work collaboratively, willingly taking on feedback and guidance from the rest of the team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work within an established art style.
- Exceptional level of high-polygon character modelling in ZBrush or Mudbox (ZBrush preferred).
- Extensive knowledge of 3D packages such as Maya, 3ds Max (Maya preferred).
- Proven ability across all aspect of character modelling, including anatomical, cloth and hard-surface modelling.
- Excellent Photoshop and Substance Painter texturing skills, targeting physically based rendering.
- Familiarity with the entire real-time character creation pipeline: high-poly sculpting, retopology, UV mapping, texture baking, texture creation, setting up and exporting to game.
- Awareness of the importance of mesh topology, to ensure that character models deform well when animated.
- Experience with PBR and real-time engines.
- Understanding of best working practices in terms of LOD creation and optimisation.
- Excellent communications skills are essential.
- An Art degree or relevant game art course is highly desirable.
- Flair for interpreting concept art, turning character sketches into 3D models that accurately capture the spirit of the concept.
- Adaptable attitude to working across a breadth of art styles, from high-detail realism to cartoon stylisation.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.