Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Programming – Online /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Frontier's Online Services team are looking for a programmer to integrate Frontier's various server-based online services into game titles developed in-house and by third parties.
As an integration programmer, you will be part of a team that's responsible for creating, maintaining, documenting and releasing a software development kit that handles network communications with Frontier's online services.
This is a highly collaborative team, working with programmers from Frontier's engine team as well as our server programmers, and all of the development teams working to create Frontier's game titles.
With a focus on reliability, performance and memory usage, you will apply your expertise in data structures and algorithms to write portable C++ code that runs on PCs and Console platforms.
- Implement and refine C++ SDKs for Frontier's REST online services
- Contribute to releasing versions of our SDKs, including changelogs, builds & tests
- Contribute to programming plugins for popular 3rd party game engines for Frontier's C++ SDKs, including pipelines to produce bindings for other languages
- Collate and publish api documentation, examples, developer guides and other information to in-house and 3rd party game developers
- Collaborate with in-house and 3rd party game developers with integrating Frontier's online services to their titles
- Work collaboratively with server-side and client-side programmers on shared projects
- Breaking down your work into measurable and achievable tasks
- Writing clear, maintainable and portable code
- Perform code reviews for team members and third party developers
- Optimise resource usage to minimize impact on game code
- Self directed learner
- Excellent attention to detail
- Good communication skills both verbally and in writing
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience programming in a compiled, statically typed language such as C++, C# or Java
- Familiarity with online services used in modern games, such as cloud save, matchmaking, content sharing, leaderboards, telemetry & analytics, etc.
- Aptitude for real world networking considerations
- Enjoys collaborating with team members on cross-discipline tasks
- Development experience with online services used in modern games, such as cloud save, matchmaking, content sharing, leaderboards, telemetry & analytics, etc.
- Experience with multithreaded programming
- Cross-platform development experience with Linux, Windows, Xbox, PlayStation or other embedded systems
- Familiarity with adding features to existing interfaces in established projects
- Awareness of C++ & server-side security issues
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.