Development – Art /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
As a concept artist, you will have the opportunity to use your creativity and artistic skills to contribute to the creation of our exciting games. You will take an idea from rough sketches through to final 2d concept while working with the vision holders, to help communicate the visual direction to the rest of the team.
***Can support remote working from the UK***
- Support the art director and concept lead in developing the look and feel of Frontier’s game worlds, creating concept art on projects and areas matching your core skillsets. Such as Environments, natural and architectural, characters, vehicles, interactive objects etc.
- Communicate visual ideas within the team quickly, by providing digital imagery, and where relevant, supporting material, such as animatics, 3d blockouts, zbrush sketches etc.
- Be able to quickly generate loose and evocative mood pieces or sketches but also production ready concepts clearly describing the new assets to the art team tasked with authoring the final in game models.
- Proven observational skills. You won’t be able to tell good lies if you don’t understand the world around you.
- Mastery of Photoshop and digital painting techniques
- Great draftmanship and understanding of anatomy, proportion, scale, perspective, lighting, and colour harmony
- Natural desire to create fantastic player experiences and how your own concepts can help achieve that goal
- Ability to give, take and learn from constructive criticism as well as collaborate on ideas while displaying openness to the requirements of the project
- Keen interest in games development. Would be useful if you could match your aspiration for the concept to the requirements of the game
- Experience in working on a game team either commercially or on a completed mod with multiple releases
- Able to produce realistic and stylized designs.
- Knowledge of other packages, and visual disciplines (ie. Color grading, editing, animating, digital sculpting, graphic design etc.)
- Degree in relevant traditional art skill, i.e. illustration, fine art etc.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.