Concept Artist (Creatures and Characters)
Development – Art /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
As a concept artist, specialized in characters/creatures you will have the opportunity to use your creativity and artistic skills to contribute to the creation of our exciting games. You will take an idea from rough sketches through to final 2D concept while working with the vision holders, to help communicate the visual direction to the rest of the team.
- Support the art director and concept lead in developing the characters and creatures inhabiting Frontier’s game worlds, as well as the props they interact with, creating concept art on projects and areas matching your core skillsets.
- Communicate visual ideas within the team quickly, by providing digital imagery, and where relevant, supporting material, such as zbrush sketches, moodboards etc.
- Be able to quickly generate loose and expressive posed sketches, as well as production ready turn-arounds clearly describing the new assets to the art team tasked with authoring the final in game models.
- Proven observational skills. You won’t be able to tell good lies if you don’t understand the world around you.
- Mastery of Photoshop and digital painting techniques
- Great draftmanship and understanding of anatomy, proportion, scale, perspective, lighting, and colour harmony
- Natural desire to create fantastic player experiences and how your own concepts can help achieve that goal
- Ability to give, take and learn from constructive criticism as well as collaborate on ideas while displaying openness to the requirements of the project
- Able to produce realistic and stylized designs.
- Knowledge of 3D packages, and especially sculpting tools (ie. Zbrush),
- Knowledge of 3D real time animation constraints.
- Keen interest in games development. Would be useful if you could match your aspiration for the concept to the requirements of the game
- Experience in working on a game team either commercially or on a completed mod with multiple releases
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.