Graduate Game Designer - Elite Dangerous
Development – Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
Purpose of the role
We are looking for a Graduate Game Designer to help design exciting new content for Odyssey, the latest expansion of Elite Dangerous.
Initially working on Elite Dangerous your role will focus on:
- Work closely with specialists from other disciplines to help design and build exciting and engaging content for the live game.
- Use visual scripting to design procedurally generated missions that are compelling and varied.
- Write Lua scripts that embrace and exemplify Elite’s open-ended gameplay.
- Identify new ways to use existing game systems to support new and ongoing narratives.
- Providing input and feedback on new features/designs.
- Adaptable and creative with a solid practical understanding of game mechanics and genres.
- Experience and knowledge of management and simulation games.
- Ability to apply both artistic and programmatic perspectives to work.
- Experience setting up levels/scenarios.
- Ability to view games from both a player and developers perspectives.
- Capable of producing clear and concise documentation and a strong verbal communicator.
- The ability and the drive to find efficient and effective solutions to problems as they arise.
- Quick to pick up and learn new tools.
- Ability to estimate timescales for work you are familiar with and to deliver that work to a high standard.
- Familiarity with scripting languages or visual scripting tools (e.g. Lua, Blueprint visual scripting)
- Experience of game editing tools like Unreal or Unity and/or 3D packages like Max or Maya would be beneficial.
- Knowledge of procedural game systems.
- Experience adjusting existing systems to refine and balance gameplay.
- Knowledge of multiplayer and online gaming and culture.
- Passion for space games.
As you progress within the role, you will be able to take on additional responsibilities, including:
·Designing and constructing new gameplay levels.
·Testing and balancing new gameplay systems, weapons, tools, and more.
·Providing design briefs for additional content or new features.
If you have any examples of game design that you have worked on (professional or otherwise) please include them alongside your application.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.