Graduate Game Server Developer
Operations – Online /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
The Graduate Server Developer in the Online Services team will assist with the on-going and ever growing server-side development on game titles such as Elite Dangerous. You will be working in an enthusiastic, agile environment and will be able to develop and expand your skills and abilities by working alongside our skilled and highly experienced developers.
- Maintaining and adding game features to database-driven web applications in PHP
- Maintaining and improving the automation of the Elite Dangerous game server infrastructure on Amazon Web Services
- Communicate effectively with team members and work collaboratively on game features both within the server team and with other disciplines
- Aware of working with servers and it would be nice to have worked with Linux before
- Curious, have a good aptitude for learning and enjoy variety, with opportunities to work with game data, server-side simulation code, admin tools, server logs & stats, replicating database services and networking.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Degree qualified in a relevant discipline e.g. Computer Science, Maths or Engineering
- Experience of working with servers.
- A-Level in Maths
- An understanding of public cloud systems such as Amazon Web Services
- Configuring open source server applications, such as docker, apache, nginx, mysql
- Working with RESTful APIs
- Working with SQL databases such as MySQL or SQL Server
- Working with NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB, Redis or MongoDB.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.