Senior 3D Artist
Cambridge / Remote /
Art – 3D /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We are seeking a Senior 3D Artist to join our team at Frontier. We have a name for making beautiful games in diverse genres and art styles. The successful candidate will be working on exciting projects like our brand new Formula One franchise
We expect the artist to be experienced and comfortable following a concept in detail. The exemplar artist can combine their understanding of a game’s visual style and real-time world art to take even a loose sketch to an inspiring location in-game.
The successful candidate should be able to apply their keen visual and sculptural skills on a range of artistic styles covered by Frontier's diverse and growing catalogue games.
- Communicate visual ideas within the team quickly, through well-honed drawn skills, both digitally and in traditional media
- Create and maintain fully textured 3D prop and modular assets, and to be undaunted working with large-scale locations
- Work with fellow artists, both inside and outside the company to maintain the highest-quality throughout the game world
- Work with the Designers to ensure environments are unified in both fidelity and play experience.
- Ability to appreciate, respond to and provide constructive critique
- Desire to collaborate to create an immersive game world
- Keen eye in creating a realistic and believable world.
- Show initiative and be proactive to get the best from a Game Engine.
- Solid skills in hard surface modelling, preferably in Maya
- Proven skills in photorealistic surfacing using tools such as Substance or Quixel
- Experience with PBR and a real-time engines
- Experience in working on a game team either commercially or on a completed mod with multiple releases
- Great understanding of proportion, scale, perspective, lighting and colour
- A keen eye for spinning narrative and life into the environment
- Thorough knowledge of and experience with Adobe Photoshop
- Strong traditional art skills.
- Proven observational skills. You won’t be able to tell good lies if you don’t understand the world around you
- Modelling skills outside of hard-surface; versatility is valuable
- Experience in organic modelling using ZBrush, Mudbox or similar
- An appreciation of stylised modelling and surfacing.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.