Senior Gameplay Programmer
Development – Programming /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We are currently looking for highly experienced Senior Gameplay Programmers to come and join us on one of our unannounced projects.
Frontier has a proud history of creating complex games with rich game mechanics. As a senior gameplay programmer you will play an important role in our continued success, developing great games in collaboration with a diverse and talented game team. Your experience and expertise will help to shape and deliver the fantastic experiences that players have come to expect from our games.
Playing a senior role in a game team, you will become an expert in both the code and the player experience for major parts of the game. You will mentor and support other members of the team, and raise your own abilities to make each game better than the last.
Working closely with a cross-discipline team, you will push our COBRA engine to create games that players will never forget.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Drive technical design and development, create innovative solutions for complex problems.
- Champion quality in our games by creating engaging gameplay mechanics.
- Mentor junior members of the programming team and collaborate with peer team members.
- Profile and optimise game systems to maximise performance.
- Work closely with other disciplines to help streamline our development processes.
- Prioritise, plan and manage the time of assigned tasks with minimal oversight.
- Senior gameplay programming role on at least one commercially released game for console or PC.
- Strong programming skills using C++ in a large codebase.
- Self-motivated and driven with good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience working in a large codebase and the ability to adapt to established methods.
- Enjoys collaborating with team members on cross-discipline tasks.
- Keeps up to date with new game technologies and innovations.
- Ability and willingness to develop others through effective mentoring and coaching skills.
- Advanced knowledge of LUA programming.
- Familiarity with adding features post-release to games with active players.
- Experienced full commercial game development lifecycle from prototyping, through production to post-release support.
- Cross-platform development experience including Xbox One or PlayStation 4.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.