Senior Game Designer
Development – Design /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
As a Senior Games Designer you will work closely with the Design lead, playing a key role as an owner of various design aspects for the game. The role is responsible for the areas of work defined, from concept to shipping as well as maintenance. You are responsible for delivering the best possible game experience for the features/areas you are working on to schedule and quality.
The Senior Games Designer will support the lead, by ensuring that pipelines, equipment and tools are fit for purpose, appropriately directing those working below them on features they own and by personally defining and exhibiting best practice.
- Being placed in charge of key areas of the game at every phase managing scope, quality and focus of those features so that they are delivered quickly and efficiently.
- Communicate your ideas to your Lead and other departments clearly and accurately accepting feedback and adapting the design to the broader needs of the project as a whole.
- Deliver, define and estimate features and tools.
- Help triage and focus features, bugs and scope in order to accommodate changes in staff deadlines or other issues that arise.
- Manage and communicate risks.
- Support an environment where team members can grow and evolve as a positive and cohesive force that is respected by other departments, providing direct mentoring where required and delegate effectively.
- Significant games industry experience of full development lifecycles on at least one AAA game title at a senior level.
- Understanding the different needs and mind-sets to apply across the life time of a project
- Broad experience of designing and delivering game features and assets using current industry standard tools or equivalent proprietary software.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Able to take feed back and understand how to interpret it, able to deliver difficult messages appropriately and sensitively, knowing when to push back and when to follow and able to sell those decision to their peers and subordinates.
- Able to identify the best solution even if it is not your own and supporting others in their growth listening and directing rather than dictating, able to delegate responsibly.
- Good at coping with high pressure situations and tight deadlines, able to make clear and constructive decisions in a timely manner whilst under pressure and remaining positive.
- Able to build and sell a shared cross departmental vision for the areas you are responsible for and act as an ambassador for the game as a whole.
- Hold a deep understanding of how your areas of responsibility fit in to the game as a whole.
- Able to immediately add value to the project, quickly pick up, analyse and distil game mechanics and systems so that we are focused on the things that provide the most worth.
- Critical and analytical thinker able to step out of their role and think from a player’s perspective, delivering accessible and engaging ways to interface with complex systems.
- Experience with onboarding players via tutorials and in-game guidance.
- Demonstrable leadership and management skills having lead a team and or mentored more junior staff.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 600+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.