Senior Game Designer
Development – Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
As a Senior Games Designer you will work closely with the Design lead, playing a key role as an owner of various design aspects for the game. The role is responsible for the areas of work defined, from concept to shipping as well as maintenance. You are responsible for delivering the best possible game experience for the features/areas you are working on to schedule and quality.
The Senior Games Designer will support the lead, by ensuring that pipelines, equipment and tools are fit for purpose, appropriately directing those working below them on features they own and by personally defining and exhibiting best practice.
- Being placed in charge of key areas of the game at every phase managing scope, quality and focus of those features so that they are delivered quickly and efficiently.
- Communicate your ideas to your Lead and other departments clearly and accurately accepting feedback and adapting the design to the broader needs of the project as a whole.
- Deliver, define and estimate features and tools.
- Help triage and focus features, bugs and scope in order to accommodate changes in staff deadlines or other issues that arise.
- Manage and communicate risks.
- Support an environment where team members can grow and evolve as a positive and cohesive force that is respected by other departments, providing direct mentoring where required and delegate effectively.
- Significant games industry experience of full development lifecycles on at least one AAA game title at a senior level.
- Understanding the different needs and mind-sets to apply across the life time of a project
- Broad experience of designing and delivering game features and assets using current industry standard tools or equivalent proprietary software.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Able to take feed back and understand how to interpret it, able to deliver difficult messages appropriately and sensitively, knowing when to push back and when to follow and able to sell those decision to their peers and subordinates.
- Able to identify the best solution even if it is not your own and supporting others in their growth listening and directing rather than dictating, able to delegate responsibly.
- Good at coping with high pressure situations and tight deadlines, able to make clear and constructive decisions in a timely manner whilst under pressure and remaining positive.
- Able to build and sell a shared cross departmental vision for the areas you are responsible for and act as an ambassador for the game as a whole.
- Hold a deep understanding of how your areas of responsibility fit in to the game as a whole.
- Able to immediately add value to the project, quickly pick up, analyse and distil game mechanics and systems so that we are focused on the things that provide the most worth.
- Critical and analytical thinker able to step out of their role and think from a player’s perspective, delivering accessible and engaging ways to interface with complex systems.
- Experience with onboarding players via tutorials and in-game guidance.
- Demonstrable leadership and management skills having lead a team and or mentored more junior staff.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.