Cambridge / Remote /
Creative Services – Cinematics /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 750 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
Purpose of the role
We have an exciting new opportunity for a Cinematics Animator to join Frontiers internal cinematics team. You will work alongside the other animators, taking direction from the cinematics and animation leads, to bring to life our myriad character types, from realistic to stylised across of wide portfolio of projects.
This is a unique and incredible opportunity for a driven and passionate individual to make their mark on a new team, working with the very latest in cinematic tools and workflows across our outstanding portfolio of projects.
- Take direction from cinematic & animation leads to create animations that fit within the scope of our design briefs
- Be able to take new animations from initial concept to real-time ready in Unreal Engine
- Ability to create and quickly iterate on pre-vis content for review purposes
- Give input on direction and take ownership of animations when required
- Hands on involvement with Motion Capture
- Use your expertise and experience to advise improvements to workflows and provide input on team development when required.
- Demonstrable knowledge of character animation in both Biped and Quadruped
- An eye for cinematic animation principals and detail, with a strong focus on dynamic character movement
- In-depth knowledge of Autodesk Maya with an emphasis on its animation systems
- Ability to identify potential obstacles and risks and propose creative solutions
- Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team
- Ability to work and communicate effectively within a holistic team dynamic.
- Experience working in the animation/film/games industry
- Keen interest in story, narrative and character development
- Experience with real-time engines such as Unreal Engine
- Experience working with optical or inertial motion capture.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.