Art – VFX /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 700 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We have an exciting opportunity for you if you have a deep passion for Lighting! Come and join our development team and work on exciting new projects like our brand new Formula 1 franchise.
Frontier is looking for a talented Lighting Artist to join our high calibre team and play a key role in defining the overall look, feel and visual mood of an exciting project. Working alongside our experienced team of developers, you will have the opportunity to improve your skillset alongside some of the best creatives in the industry!
We are a highly focused, ambitious team, looking for a Lighting Artist who lives and breathes lighting, as well as being passionate about video games in general.
The role is multi-faceted, requiring a solid understanding of the core principles of Lighting, such as colour, contrast and tone, composition, readability and emphasis. As a Lighting Artist at Frontier, you will play a critical role in driving our games in to the next generation of immersive experiences. What are you waiting for?
- Work with the Lighting team to plan and deliver stunning and realistically lit environments, using our proprietary game engine and tools.
- Use our in-house lighting tech and other tools to create high quality effects such as light projection textures, IES profiles, irradiance and reflection probe captures, animated lights and more, and help to influence the further development of internal technologies.
- Work with the art and design team on all Lighting aspects of game development.
- Collaborate with our dedicated team of artists, designers, animators and programmers to realise our ambition for next gen visuals.
- Demonstrate creativity and technical ability, ensuring that the lighting is performant and in budget.
- Candidates must have previous experience as a Lighting Artist, or a strong portfolio of work which demonstrates a high level of skill in Lighting.
- A strong understanding of the core principles of Lighting, such as colour theory, contrast and tone, composition, readability and emphasis.
- Attention to detail is crucial, backed up by observation skills to create authentic, believable and dynamic environments.
- A solid understanding of real time game engines and lighting systems.
- An understanding of techniques a Lighting Artist can employ to aid their lighting, such as colour grading and other post process effects.
- A mind-set that encompasses both the aesthetic and technical aspects of Lighting as well as a proactive, pragmatic and inquisitive nature to find the best possible way to light a scene.
- An understanding of how to create Lighting which is efficient and well balanced.
- Great communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively on shared projects.
- Knowledge of the range of visual techniques employed in delivering high quality Lighting in modern games.
- Keen understanding of memory and performance pitfalls as well as techniques and tricks a Lighting Artist can employ to avoid them.
- Experience with 3D and image manipulation software, such as Maya, and Photoshop or other equivalents.
- Strong awareness of industry technology trends.
- Proactive and self-motivated.
- Love of video games.
- Knowledge of game VFX and other systems which may be impacted by choices made by Lighting Artists.
- Experience in films is beneficial if you can also demonstrate working in a real time environment.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.