Experienced Vehicle Artist - F1 Manager
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Art – 3D /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We are looking for a highly talented and experienced vehicle artist to join our team, working on Frontier's AAA F1 management game series.
F1 Manager is the officially licensed F1 management sim which aims to offer the most detailed and authentic motorsport management experience on the market. A true AAA management title, F1 Manager combines the instantly recognisable look and feel of F1’s official branding with an exhilarating broadcast-style day experience.
As part of an official F1 title, you'd be expected to author race cars and other supporting vehicles to an exceptional degree of accuracy and quality that will live up to the high standards of our license holders. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team of skilled developers working alongside real-world Formula 1 teams to create one of the most authentic representations of the world's most exciting motorsport.
- Creating and/or modifying in-game 3D vehicle assets within a given timeframe and budget.
- Collaborating with the art team both internally and externally, acting positively on Art Direction and feedback, to complete the work to a high quality and required art style.
- Interpreting 2d concept art and reference into accurate 3D models that capture the spirit of the concept as well as the technical dimensions.
- Understanding and accommodating the context of the asset - how it needs to be set up and its gameplay potential.
- Professional experience making vehicles for a AAA racing title
- A keen interest in motorsports and Formula 1
- Ability to work with data from the F1 teams themselves to create highly accurate game-ready assets
- Exceptional and demonstratable vehicle modelling skills (high and low poly)
- Ability to appreciate, respond to and provide constructive critique
- A solid comprehension of mesh topologies and optimisation techniques for games
- Excellent 2D texturing skills
- Strong PBR (physically based rendering) texturing skills using Substance Painter
- An organised and methodical approach to your work and quality
- Must be self-motivated, a good communicator, and a great team player
- Working with and creating documentation for outsourcing companies
- Working experience using Unreal Engine 4+
- A strong understanding of vehicle mechanics
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.