Senior Network Programmer (Warhammer: Age of Sigmar)
Programming – Coding /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 700 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo. We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).We are also growing our team to continue the expansion of Frontier Foundry, our publishing label for games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
We have a modern spacious studio located on the Cambridge Science Park in the heart of the Cambridge tech hub. For those who wish to relocate to the Cambridge area and work either entirely in the studio or flexibly between the studio and home, we can provide generous financial and practical support to facilitate your move. We are also able to offer remote working for those who would prefer to work almost exclusively from home or who are unable to relocate. We can discuss your preferences with you during the recruitment process.
We have an exciting opportunity for a gameplay programmer with networking and online experience to join the growing team of programmers on our upcoming Warhammer: Age of Sigmar (AoS) RTS.
As the primary Network Programmer you will be responsible for the architecture and implementation of the multiplayer code for AoS. Collaboration will be key, both with other gameplay programmers to provide facilities and APIs for them to implement key game features, as well as making sure the goals and requirements set by design are met.
Experience working on previous online multiplayer games will be vital to success in this role as being able to pre-empt and debug real-world networking issues is a top priority for the project.
- Utilise our in-house Cobra Engine technology to develop a cross-platform multiplayer solution
- Integrate this solution with the existing deterministic simulation framework to support the requirements of an RTS game
- Collaborate with our online team to define the matchmaking, dedicated server and cross-platform APIs
- Ensure the gameplay experience is as smooth as possible for different network conditions
- Provide detailed statistics and debugging facilities to our gameplay teams to help analyse multiplayer games
- Passionate about multiplayer games and network architecture
- Able to communicate well with other stakeholders, including the online team and non-technical team members such as production and design
- Good at managing your time and prioritising tasks appropriately
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Strong understanding of C++ and good software engineering knowledge
- Shipped previous titles with online multiplayer components
- Experience working with console development
- Knowledge of how cross-platform requirements may influence network implementation
- Experience of profiling and optimisation of network traffic
- Familiarity with Deterministic Simulation based approaches
- An understanding of the network approaches of games in similar genres (MOBAs, RTS games, etc.)
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.