Senior UI Designer
Development – Design /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
As a Senior UI Designer at Frontier you will have the opportunity to lead a small team of talented UI designers on a multi-platform project. Working in line with the project vision and a partially complete style guide, you will use your initiative to build relationships with the game designers, iteratively develop interaction designs and work closely with the development team to create the best experiences within the budget.
If you have a keen eye for UI design, can transform game requirements into user-centered design artefacts, love solving problems and have a portfolio of UI design work, continue reading.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Collaborate with other teams to solve defined problems and build features from scratch—from wireframes, to interactive prototypes and high fidelity mockups.
- Create and maintain high quality assets and guidelines that are easily usable by the technical developers across multiple teams.
- Iterate work on your own initiative, deliver on time and to the standard and vision set by the UI Design Principal or Game Director.
- Take direction from stakeholders and cultivate a positive attitude to creative feedback.
- Take responsibility for the quality of work, driving towards quality on a wider scale.
- Use your expertise in to suggest alterations to designs, simplifying interactions and complex data, and challenging designs based on user research.
- Provide Senior UI expertise to help mentor and coach more junior members of the team.
- Work closely with the team to understand problems and collaboratively develop smart solutions.
- Assist the Principal in longer term solutions that fit the vision, including helping with staffing, pipeline improvements, pushing for changes that will benefit the department and the people within it.
- Lead a small team of UI designers, if required, managing their tasks through the lifetime of a project.
- Make hard choices and compromises based on technical constraints, looking for cost effective solutions for the wider team.
- Comfortable with feedback
- Passion for games and game design
- UI design skills, including (in italics)
- Interaction design
- Low fidelity prototyping
- High fidelity prototyping
- User centred design
- Visual design skills, including (in italics)
- Colour theory
- Confident communicator and fluent in English
- 2+ years’ experience in the games industry
- Strategic experience—staffing, planning, pipeline improvements, asset management, triage and risk assessment
- Leadership experience—mentoring/leading more junior members of the team
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 600+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.