Senior UI Designer
Development – Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England.
With a growing team of over 600 talented people, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution and Planet Zoo.
We are continuing to grow our team to support our existing portfolio and an exciting and ambitious future roadmap, which includes the development of both own-IP titles and licensed-IP titles. Our IP-license partners include Universal (Jurassic World), Formula 1 and Games Workshop (Warhammer).
We are also growing our team to continue the growth of Frontier Foundry, our games label for publishing games developed by carefully selected partner studios.
As a Senior UI Designer at Frontier you will have the opportunity to lead a small team of talented UI designers on a multi-platform project. Working in line with the project vision and a partially complete style guide, you will use your initiative to build relationships with the game designers, iteratively develop interaction designs and work closely with the development team to create the best experiences within the budget.
If you have a keen eye for UI design, can transform game requirements into user-centered design artefacts, love solving problems and have a portfolio of UI design work, continue reading.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a studio with a proven track record of delivering successful AAA titles and to play an important role in our continued success.
- Collaborate with other teams to solve defined problems and build features from scratch—from wireframes, to interactive prototypes and high fidelity mockups.
- Create and maintain high quality assets and guidelines that are easily usable by the technical developers across multiple teams.
- Iterate work on your own initiative, deliver on time and to the standard and vision set by the UI Design Principal or Game Director.
- Take direction from stakeholders and cultivate a positive attitude to creative feedback.
- Take responsibility for the quality of work, driving towards quality on a wider scale.
- Use your expertise in to suggest alterations to designs, simplifying interactions and complex data, and challenging designs based on user research.
- Provide Senior UI expertise to help mentor and coach more junior members of the team.
- Work closely with the team to understand problems and collaboratively develop smart solutions.
- Assist the Principal in longer term solutions that fit the vision, including helping with staffing, pipeline improvements, pushing for changes that will benefit the department and the people within it.
- Lead a small team of UI designers, if required, managing their tasks through the lifetime of a project.
- Make hard choices and compromises based on technical constraints, looking for cost effective solutions for the wider team.
- Comfortable with feedback
- Passion for games and game design
- UI design skills, including (in italics)
- Interaction design
- Low fidelity prototyping
- High fidelity prototyping
- User centred design
- Visual design skills, including (in italics)
- Colour theory
- Confident communicator and fluent in English
- 2+ years’ experience in the games industry
- Strategic experience—staffing, planning, pipeline improvements, asset management, triage and risk assessment
- Leadership experience—mentoring/leading more junior members of the team
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.