Senior UI Designer - F1 Manager
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
UI – UI Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
About the Role
We are looking for a Senior User Interface Designer, to work on the continued support and expansion of our genre leading F1 Manager game, working closely with the UI Lead and other teams to deliver design solutions.
You will have the opportunity to shape the style and to design user interactions on a multi-platform project.
Working in line with the project vision and a partially complete style guide, you will use your initiative to build relationships with the game designers, iteratively develop interaction designs and work closely with the development team to create the best experiences within the budget.
This is an exciting opportunity to join development on a multi-million-selling multi-platform family of games, and to be involved at an early stage with interesting new content.
Your passion for UI design and problem solving will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
F1 Manager is the officially licensed F1 management sim which aims to offer the most detailed and authentic motorsport management experience on the market.
A true AAA management title, F1 Manager combines the instantly recognisable look and feel of F1’s official branding with an exhilarating broadcast-style day experience.
- Collaborate with Game Designers to build features from scratch: from wireframes, to interactive prototypes and high fidelity mockups.
- Create icons and layouts in keeping with an established art style.
- Promote usability and user-centered UI solutions based on UX standards.
- Keep up to date with the latest designs and trends.
- Work closely with the team to understand problems and collaboratively develop smart solutions.
- Create high quality features that can be programmed and engineered by the Developers.
- Provide UI expertise to help, mentor, and coach more junior members of the team.
- A solid UI design background in PC and/or console game development or examples of having explored game UI designs.
- Strong experience in lo to hi-fi design development.
- Keeps up to date with new design methodologies, innovations and techniques and software packages.
- A great eye for composition, iconography and typography.
- Resilient under pressure with the ability to remain calm and take important decisions.
- Able to take a feature from start to finish without much interference, including setting up reviews and giving valuable feedback.
- 2+ years’ experience in the games industry.
- HTML/CSS experience.
- Leadership experience—mentoring/leading more junior members of the team.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.