Principal Designer - Planet Franchise
Cambridge / Hybrid / Remote /
Design – Design /
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
Purpose of the Role
Frontier has a long and rich history of developing management simulation games, starting with RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 in 2004; this has branched out to games like Jurassic World Evolution and evolved into our Planet franchise with Planet Zoo and Planet Coaster.
We are currently offering the opportunity for a Principal Designer to work on the continued support and expansion of our genre leading family of Planet games.
As a Principal Designer, you will be a core pillar of the design team, supporting and collaborating with the Lead Designer and able to pick up their work where and when needed. You will be in charge of successfully translating the holistic game vision set by the Leads and Game Director into compelling experiences. You will lead your assigned areas by example, get hands-on, mentor other design team members, and guide and support them in output, skills development, and process.
- Design – Involved at every stage of a project, happy to be hands-on, helping set the benchmark for quality and good working practice.
- Communicate and Champion – Ensure that the game design, especially the areas you are in charge of, is clearly communicated and fully understood across all disciplines. Ensure that feedback is assessed and acted on where appropriate.
- Deliver – Deliver your own work alongside reviewing other designers' work and ensuring other departments have met design needs and compromise where needed. Help define milestones, manage risks, delegate effectively and support staffing strategies to ensure quality and mitigate risk.
- Enrich – Support an environment where team members are encouraged to grow, develop, and work cohesively.
- Reporting – Report progress and risks and offering insights into opportunities and improvements to the Lead Designer.
- Significant games industry experience. Preferably full development lifecycles on multiple AAA game titles, ideally in the management and strategy genres but this isn’t essential.
- Confident in communicating across the game team and to wider stakeholders
- Direct experience in designing and delivering game features and assets using current industry-standard tools or equivalent proprietary software
- Experience in team building, management and mentoring with strong interpersonal skills
- Experienced at scheduling, estimating and prioritising work
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.