Localisation Tools Programmer
Operations – Localisation /
Frontier Developments are the studio behind Jurassic World Evolution, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster and Planet Zoo. We are Britain’s biggest independent publisher and developer of videogames, based among the world-leading technology cluster in the historic city of Cambridge, England.
As part of our Localisation team, you will develop and support the COBRA engine and Frontier Foundry titles with localisation specific tools and processes. You will contribute ideas for how to extend COBRA to deliver great workflows for content creators, and collaborate with runtime engine programmers to determine how the tooling and runtime components fit together. As a specialist tools programmer you will focus your efforts on tools development, and assist specialists in other areas to understand the code they develop to complement those tools.
You will work closely with programmers and content creators to understand and influence how assets are built, how the runtime game uses them, and what processes are used to create our games. You will contribute directly to the COBRA engine and supporting pipelines, take ownership of proprietary tools used with COBRA games, and promote best-use of existing tools for game development.
- Creating and supporting the localisation development tools that we use to build games.
- Working with other programmers and content creators to design effective workflows and development pipelines.
- Identifying new technologies and processes that will improve the games made with COBRA.
- Evangelising tools and mentoring others in how to build and use them.
- Understanding the technical needs of the localisation team and working with them on devising and building solutions.
- Problem solver with a positive attitude.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to cope with change and perform well in a fast-paced environment.
- Keen gamer.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Strong knowledge of C# programming.
- Strong ASP.Net Core skills.
- Strong SQL skills .
- Experience with SOAP, REST APIs.
- Experience of working directly with users, from requirements capture through to product support.
- Experience creating user documentation.
- Familiarity with web application security principals.
- Familiarity with WPF / XAML.
- Familiarity with source control (SVN, GIT, Perforce etc.).
- Proven collaboration skills within a development team.
- Experience in the creation and support of complex software packages.
- Effective communication across diverse teams.
- Ability to plan and prioritise work based on milestone schedules.
- Experience working with Object Relational Mappers (Entity Framework / NHibernate).
- Experience with handling large number of concurrent users within an application.
- Understanding of design patterns and system architecture.
- Experience in a test-driven development (TDD) environment.
- Experience with creating UI / UX.
- Experience deploying and supporting tools across multiple game teams.
- Familiarity with contemporary game creation tools and workflows.
- Familiarity with memoQ or other CAT/TEnT software.
What we can offer you
At Frontier we believe your work should be rewarding in every way. We offer the chance to work on blockbuster franchises and world-leading IP in a studio environment considered one of the best places to work in the UK.
We also offer a range of flexible benefits to our 550+ team, including life assurance, private family healthcare, pension, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, regular in-house wellbeing sessions, regular social events, and annual bonus and sharesave schemes for everyone to share in the studio’s success.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.